Efi Wiring

Grim

I'm in the process of converting my car to injection. I don't seem to have the multiplug on my main loom to connect to. I have the following 7 wires on one connector on the engine loom:

2x brown and green

2x brown and white

1x brown

1x black

1x black and red

Can anyone tell me what these should connect to? I can't find this connector on the haynes diagram :wacko:

Andy

Guest chris brown

2x brown and green - not used - fuel computer

2x brown and white - not used - auto box

1x brown - Earth

1x black switched +ve

1x black and red - perm +ve

There’s not much that links the engine loom to the main.

Oh for the days when the engine loom had an ignition live to the coil, a wire to the oil pressure switch and the dynamo and you thought it over complicated to have two fuses in the fuse box. Those were the days.

(Mind you if I didn't spend most of each saturday tinkering with the car there wasn't much chance of it running for the whole of the next week!)

Nigel

hehe.

Just had another thought about the fuel pump. Where does this fit in, in the scheme of things?

I think the red and black wire must be fuel pump, as there's already a permanant live from the battery in the loom. Is that right?

Be careful, the wiring diagram in the latest blue haynes manual is wrong. The one in the older green manual is right.

My EFI subloom from an E reg GLS Ghia had the two multiway connectors and another single yellow and black that goes to the ignition. This isn't even shown in the blue haynes manual.

I spent a lot of time looking for a permenant +ve in the hynes manuals and donor wiring but I couldn't find one. So my ECU has no permenant +ve and it runs fine.

I redid the fuel pump wiring so it runs when the ignition is on rather than when the ECU wants it. This means its always on if you turn the ignition to run but don't start the engine. But how often do you do this? It keeps the wiring simple. The ECU fuel pump signal comes back through the multiplug to a relay in the fuse box. My CVH loom didn't have this wiring.

Guest Jim Poole

Andy

You need to run a separate supply via a relay to the fuel pump. There should be a red/blue wire from the ECU to switch the relay. You'll need a 30 amp fuse in a new supply from the battery to the relay.

See Here

Jim

Guest timswait

Good plan, converting to EFi, are you shortening the plenum or chopping the bonnet? I'm pretty sure the green wire is to drive the rev counter. I kept the fuel pump being driven by the ECU (via a relay). While on the subject, it's also a good idea to fit the inertia cut out switch in the fuel pump circuit. This will turn the fuel pump off if you have an accident. (it has actually tripped once when I went over a particulary mountainous bump in the A57, but you can reset it by pressing the button on the top).

Andy

You need to run a separate supply via a relay to the fuel pump. There should be a red/blue wire from the ECU to switch the relay. You'll need a 30 amp fuse in a new supply from the battery to the relay.

See Here

Jim

i have a red/blue wire going from the ecu to a relay in the loom, along with thick red and black wires. A thick red/black wire comes from the relay, through a fuse to the connector. The loom also connects to the battery +ve directly, so i think this relay switches the fuel pump, so no seperate supply is needed. This seems to correlate with what the haynes wiring diagram says, but i don't fully understand it so might be wrong.

I think my engine loom is somewhat different to others as i have only 1 multiplug which originally connected to the main loom, where others have two.

Good plan, converting to EFi, are you shortening the plenum or chopping the bonnet? I'm pretty sure the green wire is to drive the rev counter. I kept the fuel pump being driven by the ECU (via a relay). While on the subject, it's also a good idea to fit the inertia cut out switch in the fuel pump circuit. This will turn the fuel pump off if you have an accident. (it has actually tripped once when I went over a particulary mountainous bump in the A57, but you can reset it by pressing the button on the top).

I'll be shortening the plenum.

Thanks for the reminder about the inertia cut out switch, i'll wire one in when i tidy things up.