Pinto Flywheel

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I've just taken the flywheel off the spare 205 block pinto in the garage, it weighed in at 9.4 kg!

I've heard some people say that the 1.6 flywheel is lighter, but others say its heavier, eh? also some say it's dependant on age, can someone please confirm one of these... and tell me which is the lightest standard one, how heavy?

Thanks

James

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil Slater

Sorry can't be specific on the weights but Des Hamill, in his book on tuning the Pinto, seems to group the 1600 and 1800 together and lighter than the 2000 one. Interestingly he says the 2000 weighs in around 6.5Kg/14Ilbs not 9.4. He reckons quote: the 2000 can be lightened to around 4KG without detriment to strength which........ is lighter than the standard 1600/1800 flywheel. :huh:

Hope thats of some help :mellow:

Guest docter fox

perhaps the scales are out then, there just digital bathroom scales so I was unsure if they'd be accurate with a relatively small mass

I've got access to a 1.6 flywheel, but I've got to take the gearbox off and put the 2.0 one back in, I seem to remember reading somewhere about the friction plates being a smaller size on the 1.6? is this right?

swapping them over seemed earlier this afternoon than it does now... roughly how much would a machine shop charge?

Guest chris brown

9.4 sounds about right if that’s about 21lb in old money. As for lightening it first turn off that big ring of material that goes on the engine side as it is on the outer edge it makes a big difference without affecting the strength in any was in fact Des Hamill seems to indicate that it is a better flywheel without it. But it must be balanced.

Mine is running at about half weight and still ticks over at 850rpm

Guest Alasdair

Please be careful - I think this has to be done correctly to be safe and it has to be balenced afterwards, remember - if it all goes horribly wrong it is right next to your feet! Maybe I'm over-cautious but I would rather buy a new light one to start with.

I know what you mean but even when buying one already lightened, your taking the same risk ;)

I think the lightened ones to buy are specifically made steel items, as opposed to (i assume) a cast flywheel that has had metal machined off. It's not to say a standard flywheel can't be machined right, more that a specifically made one wont be wrong.