Camber Gauge

Guest TerryBarry

Guest TerryBarry

I can understand the principle of this gauge - but does anyone have experience of using this or something like it .

Christmas is coming etc. etc.

I do realise on the 2B+ the adjustment precision is + one complete turn of the upper ball joint into the wishbone

Demon tweeks do a more complicated version from £ 94 and then you have to buy a castor/camber guage adaptor £46 to use it on the wheel rim. i think you could make one easily for a few pence, thats the adaptor not the guage.

Guest TerryBarry

I thought about the problem of having to take the wheel off.

Looking at my cars, it would probably work with four or five spoke alloys but many more spokes or pressed steel wheels you'd be stymied.

this may come out wrong, but

i once saw an article in one of the kit car mags, which they used a normal 2' spirit level with two drilled and tapped holes in to take a 10mm bolt, holes were drilled to sit on the rim of a 15" wheel and the thread size worked out at 1mm pitch which over that distance was 1 degree, it looked like the adaptor in Snapperpauls post,

so from level (or close enough for us) unscrewing/screwing the bolt in one rev was one degree,

not sure if thats clear but it was an inexpensive way of doing it yourself,

less than a tenner compaired to the 140 from Dthieves, for what was basically the same,

HTH

Mitch

I sent the camber on our 2B the night before SVA by using the straight offcut from the multibend tube. I cut it to the right length to go across the rim without touching the tyre. Then I parked the car on the flat and sandwiched the tube between the rim and a spirit level. The tube was acting as a spacer so the spirit level could be parallel to the rim. I then loosened the nut on the end of the Mcphersons struct (its a 2B/4) and knocked it into line with my hand.

I went for 1 degree in at the top and got it on one side. The other side was 3 degrees in when it was checked with a laser setup after SVA. I didn't think that was too bad.

saw a review on a gauge very similar to this in car mechanic magazine whilst i was doing some free reading in wh smith the other day.

the reviewer seemed to think that you could possibly use it on a car with open suspension by fixing the device to the insde face of the brake disc while wheel is still on and under load

said fixing to the disc should give a true reading if the disc was in good condition as the disc is parallel to the wheel rim, hub etc etc

steve

Guest Cantbearsed

I have one of those sealy camber gauges. It' basically a spirit level which you PRE-SET using a known angle then transfer the gauge to the car wheel or brake disk/ hub if supported, as said before, under the lower arms.

A bit heath-robinson in it's aproach, but does the trick if used correctly.

The tricky bit is setting it up correctly in the first place.

1 degree steel inclined plane laying about anywhere anyone......? :rolleyes: