Iva For 3A

Guest W23lky

I disagree very much with Knights Templar on this

Some of this below is fundamental to an IVA pass

No point in going direct to IVA with an S3A as some work needs doing in the construction phase

There are a few points that should be addressed before IVA

These are the ones I had to do on my 3A

Steering support under the dash is flimsy and tester will ask you to pull/push steering wheel

I ran 2 bars from where steering bolts to bracket to the bulkhead of the scuttle then ran angle engine bay side to stiffen the lot

I also triangulated the pedal box support

The seats require load spreading washers under the floor my solution however was to run angle fore and aft joining the gearbox support and the tub rear lip

Seat belt lower outer mountings needed load spreading plates, the kit already had them for the inner mounts, if you don't have them you'll need to make them

These go outside as seatbelts will load from inside

Upper seat belt mounts are to low, I welded a bar on the roll bar and looped over to achieve the correct height, some weld mounts directly in this tube

EE17AA11-19F6-449D-95AE-1381CC33138B-12944-0000094A68447314.jpg

As the rear mounts are just on an angle under the rear lip I triangulated from the roll bar to the rear tub

166B681B-3593-4EAB-9E3C-0AEE9481D8BD-4591-00000449B82C4343.jpg

74868219-8DC0-4DE5-AB7F-9ED314BC775C-4591-00000449787EF60F.jpg

As the roll bar on the 3A is just clamped in by exhaust clamps and now would support the seatbelts in a crash I thought the mounting needed more work, I bolted steel plate to the boot floor inside so roll bar would not push through in a roll and drilled and welded crush tubes in to bolt through the tub sides and through the shock absorber mounting angle plus load spreading washers

A8175A8E-B3CE-47DE-8CBD-BB1A51BA5E1B-4591-00000449A57DB3B7.jpg

F4FAE233-3C6C-4259-B8AA-D5E4847985A4-4591-0000044BCDC074B3.jpg

There is a load spreading plate in the boot where the diff mount bolts through, the rest of the work was normal sharp edges covered pipes and wires P clipped

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest W23lky

Cheers snapperpaul that really helps,was starting to think of buying old kit with v5 and making one good one out of two,heard so many stories how painful and expensive Iva can be didn't know which way to turn.think I'm going to be a pain in your side pestering you over the next few months lol thanks again

Guest davidimurray

Cheers snapperpaul that really helps,was starting to think of buying old kit with v5 and making one good one out of two,heard so many stories how painful and expensive Iva can be didn't know which way to turn.think I'm going to be a pain in your side pestering you over the next few months lol thanks again

I see your in Blackwood. I'm in Pontyclun, 5 min from the Llantrisant test centre. Bob Stafford there is great and very helpful - I have his mobile number if you want to have a chat with him. He has a sensible approach but does like things to be right - there is a write up of my IVA on here you might be interested in reading. If the car looks tidy and well built/IVA prep'd you will have a better time with him - for example he looked at all the edge trim on mine, walked around with the sphere of doom and then put it back in the cupboard without using it! He is very keen on the steering support for Robin Hoods - mine is a Haynes Roadster but he did ask about it and then proceeded to tell me about how poor he considered the Robin hood setup to be.

I've done something similar to snapperpaul at the rear of my 3A. I used 3mm steel plates inside and out of the boot sides that go the full length of the boot. The rollbar sits on plates welded to the bottom of these and are triangulated for strength. The rollbar is adapted to bolt down through these plates and I have used high tensile U bolts instead of the standard ones that were in the kit.

To improve the shock mounts and to take some of the load off the side of the monocoque, 50mm square tube with top and bottom extensions is bolted through these plates as well as bolting through reinforcing plates that sit inside the monocoque side "tubes" at the original mounting points. The shocks locate on these 50mm tubes. These don't twist or deflect like the original angle iron mounts that were supplied

I can't post a photo as all my pics are too large and I can't get them down small enough. If you want any pics please PM me with your email address.

Rob