St170 (190now)

Guest dandan

we put this in over the winter and after a month in wiltshire for the tunning and rolling road session it is now back a couple of days of tiyding and cutting and fitting of new bonnet just aswell graham has a light weight spares shop in the garage.

any way here is some pics and im sure GDC will be along later to tell more

kitcars01022009017Medium.jpg

kitcars01022009014Medium.jpg

kitcars01022009020Medium.jpg

kitcars01022009024Medium.jpg

kitcars01022009019Medium.jpg

dan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that looks cool and going to be mega quick.Nice work.

yeah it is blo y quick . i tested it before bringing it home

unless i had forgotten what it was like before changing from the xflow ,

no i dont think so this thing is mental.

i have had it mapped so it drives like a shopping trolly up to 4000 rpm .

at 4200 its mental the bhp goes from arround 90 to 190 in the space of 200 rpm

the power curve goes vertical !

i dont think a damp road is going to be the place to try it , no slipper !

it starts as easy as a normal car though .

i had to change the bonnett cos the cam cover wouldnt clear , so a bit of cutting .

its actually a complete steal of an idea by richard hall , saw it the other week at the factory

on one of their cars , sorry rich , but thanks .graham

just a thought re the strength of the lighweight , the car spent 17 hours on the rolling road and is as good as it ever was

its not folded in half or bent in any way .

Graham,

Good work on the finishing touches, really looks the part now! Don;t forget the filters though mate!

Matt

filters ???????????

do i need them ????????

graham

Guest Jomeo69

OK quick question DURAtec or Zetec? Both 16V ok the DURAtec at 190bhp but a Zetec wont be far behind that in power figures with a small amount of tuning.

Please excuse me but are there any significant differences???

Just intrigued.

Joe

hi joe

the engine is badged as a duratec

its a zetec bottom end but with all steel internals ie crank and rods with i think forged pistons not cast iron like the zetec.

so can be revved higher and harder .

the head is different , it has vvt , switched via a soliniod , the soliniod can be switched at any time depending on the map .

so this engine should be as standard a longer lasting unit ,

as henry built it to be a sports engine in a focus and should do a lot of miles .

i went for this because i have had highly tuned engines before and i was always affraid i would break them .

this engine was designed to achieve and sustain 170 bhp all day long so by relieiveing it of the emmision crap and adding the jenvies we have added power but i hope havnt compromised the integrety of the engine .

graham.

Most Duratec have exhaust on drivers side in a 7 type car and is an all alloy engine from Mazda/Ford and a chain driven cam info link

Zetec has a steel block and the exhaust on passenger side in a 7 type car info link

The are 3 main types of Zetec, blk top, silver top, and the ST baged a Duratec as (GDC has)

The are 2 types of Duratec the one in the Mondeo above and a smaller one all so known as Zetec SE, also called the Sigma in the US, This engine is all aluminium and designed in partnership with Yamaha.

Stephen

if you sit it lower it will drag its bum on the ground .

a lower sump would help but i cant afford one at the mo as just sprung for one on dans car .

i am skint . this car has ruined me financially .at the moment , no spare cash

steve thanks for the info but the engine arrived as badged so i have to believe its as it says .

the engine is a deritive of the duratec the badge says so ?

its all steel internals acording to henry .so i hope the reliaability will be there ..

graham

not any taller than a pinto i think .

Looks awesome guys, great job. Often wondered about going this route myself as an upgrade as I think its a fairly standard replacement for the zetec as has the same bottom end. Not sure whether new manifolds would be required as the heads will be different to the 2ltr blacktop.

Oh and of course another £300 mapping session at Emerald!!

Very tempting......

Guest simont4718
yeah it is blo y quick . i tested it before bringing it home

unless i had forgotten what it was like before changing from the xflow ,

no i dont think so this thing is mental.

i have had it mapped so it drives like a shopping trolly up to 4000 rpm .

at 4200 its mental the bhp goes from arround 90 to 190 in the space of 200 rpm

the power curve goes vertical !

i dont think a damp road is going to be the place to try it , no slipper !

it starts as easy as a normal car though .

i had to change the bonnett cos the cam cover wouldnt clear , so a bit of cutting .

its actually a complete steal of an idea by richard hall , saw it the other week at the factory

on one of their cars , sorry rich , but thanks .graham

just a thought re the strength of the lighweight , the car spent 17 hours on the rolling road and is as good as it ever was

its not folded in half or bent in any way .

hi graham,

that looks really good but wait for that snow to disappear. i have finally posted some pictures of car online. I have managed to get a tonneau cover from richard at gbs so hopefully should be ok.thanks for the help on that one. Decided not to tax vehicle till april so to get 6 months tax out of summer.Will have to come over and show you about that time.

cheers simon