Rover V8 Release Bearing Solution

richardm6994

as most of you probably know by now, I'm in the process of sticking a rover v8 onto the end of my type 9 gearbox.

This is the first problem I've come up against and my solution. I think it will work but I just want to run it by you guys and gals;

The problem is that the hole formed by the ends of the clutch pressure plate fingers is 1mm smaller than the diameter of the hydraulic clutch and release bearing assembly (ford galaxy) which I am using. As such, each clutch finger only sits on the release bearing face by 0.5mm which I don't feel too comfortable about.

DSC_0411.jpg

I've curved the new face to match the rover release bearing which came with the clutch.

so what do we all think...will it work?

the new bearing face is a good tight fit over the old bearing face (5 tho interference fit...new face currently in freezer awaiting fitment tomorrow)

Guest jetskijase

looks spot on rich, , looking closely at you clutch pic iam sure my fingers were alot longer that the ap ones. I know that our rich has got the same cover so if you want some beer tokens to cover costs and time etc then i know rich would be interested in one off you.

I've already texted Jase this but for anyone else who is interested;

If you want one of these bearing faces making, I'll need you to provide a peice of EN8 steel 2.5" dia (min) x 3" long (min) and also the clutch hydraulic cylinder so that I can machine the new bearing face to the exact measurements of the original bearing face (its the interference fit that needs to be matched to the cylinder).