Steering Angle Setup For Iva

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Afternoon all.

just wondering how people have gone about setting up the correct steering angle without being able to drive the car.

Or have people just taken the car to a garage and have them set it up.

Just looking for a quick, easy cheap way to set it up tis all.

many thanks

joe

If you mean the geometry, camber/Castor/Toe in etc, would you beleive it, I did mine with a plumb line and a bit of maths.

I centred the car in the garage and made sure it was level. Then using trig' calculated the height from the center of the wheel to the ceiling and how much a 1 degree camber would generate at the ceiling. pinned the plumb line to that point in the ceiling and then adjusted and adjusted and adjusted etc till it all lined up. If that makes sense. I did something similar with the toe in.

Supprisingly the car drives as straight as a die.

Guest Jomeo69

i thought there was a part of the iva where 'self centring' was required and id need to at least have a basic setup for that surely?

Many Thanks for the suggestions so far

joe

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear the car's coming along.

When it stops raining and blowing a hooly, i'll pop into the garage, I think i've the settings for the Superspec in there somewhere.

From memory though, I think they are the same as the 2B.

A quick search would be a good starting point.

See ya later

Al

According to the original data provided by Robin Hood for the Superspec, the settings are:

Camber: 3/8" in at the top

Toe in: 1 degree negative

Caster: Pre-set

Tyre Pressure: 19psi

I am sure that there are better settings to suit Joe, but these should be a good starter for you.

Al

Guest mower man

Ok most 7 types are very sim , be it caterthing or westlife, camber 1/1.5 degs neg ,caster 5to 8 degs ,toein as near to parralel as pos erring on toe in , tyre press 18/19 psi some times it only pos to be within one turn [early RH top wish bones ] ,equal on both sides is v imp but set ride height first!!! my findings after 10 years and much research both practical and theoretic HTH mower man

Guest davidimurray

I can't comment on specific setup as mine is a Haynes Roadster, but this is the way i went about it.

I have a lane down the side/back of the house so parked the car on the corner, full lock, hands off the wheel and start moving. At first my steering wheel didn't move. I put the tyre pressures up to 36psi and tried again. The steering wheel moved back a little but not much. I then set the front toe to 1 degree out. Now when I moved off the wheel moved back and within 10 feet the car was going in a straight line. I understand this isn't a great setup for driving bu as I only had a couple of miles to drive to the test centre I felt I could live with less than optimum handling. I will now be putting some toe-in on the front as the test is over with.

In the actual test, the inspector drives along in a straight line at about 25mph then yanks the wheel left and right about half a turn and then releases the wheel. He said he was looking for the car to show an 'intent' to self centre. In my case the wheel turned back just under a 1/4 of a turn. He said if you turn the wheel and it stays in the same position and doesn't make any atempt to move then that's a fail.

Ok most 7 types are very sim , be it caterthing or westlife, camber 1/1.5 degs neg ,caster 5to 8 degs ,toein as near to parralel as pos erring on toe in , tyre press 18/19 psi some times it only pos to be within one turn [early RH top wish bones ] ,equal on both sides is v imp but set ride height first!!! my findings after 10 years and much research both practical and theoretic HTH mower man

I will always take a bow to experience and knowledge Mick, they are 2 things that are priceless :good: :good:

Al