RHOCaR National Meet Announcement

RHOCaR national meet 26th to 28th September 2014 at Hollowell Northamptonshire, NN6 8RB.

More details and Download the Entry form here: http://www.rhocar.or...=15#entry308724

- - - - -

Fuel Line Non Return Valve.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gerry cole

gerry cole

Builder

• Community user
  • 10 posts
  • Car type:r.hood 2b. with self designed front suspension..

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

I intend fitting a non-return valve in the fuel lin.
Now I have asked a couple of people as to where I fit said valve. One guy said to fit it between fuel pump & carb. The other said fit it near fuel tank. Neither of these blokes have any Kit Car experience. I was thinking of fitting it about 15 inches from pump (between tank & pump) near the bulkhead.
  Now what ideas have you guys out there ? Any answers would most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

#2 Mark B

Mark B

Mr President

• President
  • 2,318 posts
  • Car type:..

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

For what reason do you want to fit it?

#3 gerry cole

gerry cole

Builder

• Community user
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

View PostMark B, on May 14 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

For what reason do you want to fit it?
My car is a 2B, 2.0 pinto powered & when it has not been used for a few weeks it takes a long time turning the engine before it will start. I have fitted a new fuel pump & this has not cured the problem. I have been told a non-return valve in the fuel line will stop the fuel running back enabling it to start easier. I had thought about fitting an electric pump, but this way seems the cheaper & easier option (if it works). There does NOT seem to be any leaks in the system.

#4 Ian & Carole

Ian & Carole

RHOCaR Member

• RHOCaR 14
  • 4,015 posts
  • Car type:2b Powered by Toyota 16v 1600 Twin Cam no longer sliding pillar !!!!!!!!!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Same question really .....why......I think you might find the starting problem is evaporation and not flow - back.

I have the same problem with the Beauford when it isn't used for a couple of weeks between weddings.

I just keep cranking and pumping the throttle and it always starts.

The hood stands for weeks on end, switch on the electric pump and after 3 or 4 secs press the start button and away she goes.

A decent electric pump is only about 40.00 plus a pressure regulator.

#5 diyer

diyer

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 280 posts
  • Car type:Used to have a RH Lightweight Zetec

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

I agree, evaporation is more likely your problem, but fitting a non return valve near the carb might help that issue anyway.

simon
Hug a Hoodie!

#6 gerry cole

gerry cole

Builder

• Community user
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Ok many thanks for your reply...So it looks like I will try the electric pump route, unless anyone else knows differently. I will wait a week or two to see if there are any other ideas out there. Once again thankyou.

#7 Taff

Taff

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 218 posts
  • Car type:zero

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

as has been said electric pump is the way to go, turn it on, you can hear it pumping, wait a couple of seconds then it's ready
good luck
Ian
Women....
can't live with 'em
can't kill 'em!!

#8 Longboarder

Longboarder

Old Stager

• RHOCaR 14
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Car type:New 111

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

This used to happen to my pinto hood before the leccy pump was fitted. You need to add the safety of an electric cut-off to the fuel pump supply controlled either by the impact relay from the boot of your donor or an oil pressure relay. This is to try to avoid the problem of finding yourself trapped in a crash with the pump merrily squirting fuel out of a severed pipe onto......................etc.

Nigel
Thought for the week.
You can take a thirsty horse to water but it might want a beer.

#9 niduncan

niduncan

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 14
  • 285 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood Series 3

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Had the same problem with my Series 3. I put a non-return valve near the fuel tank and now the engine cranks over less before firing after a standing for weeks.  It is worth trying as they are cheep to buy and easy to fit.  Going the electric route is costly what with pump, oil pressure relay or impact relay and maybe even a fuel regulator as well!
Nigel

Series III, 2.0l Pinto, kit collected March 97, MOT,d July 97

My garage

#10 nikki

nikki

Builder

• RHOCaR 14
  • 41 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood 2b

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostTaff, on 14 May 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

as has been said electric pump is the way to go, turn it on, you can hear it pumping, wait a couple of seconds then it's ready
good luck
Ian

Did you ever fit a non-return valve or go electric pump in the end?
Curious, as we are renewing all the fuel pipes and wondered if it was worth fitting a valve during the process.

#11 Ian & Carole

Ian & Carole

RHOCaR Member

• RHOCaR 14
  • 4,015 posts
  • Car type:2b Powered by Toyota 16v 1600 Twin Cam no longer sliding pillar !!!!!!!!!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Nikki
You might not get a reply to your question, this thread is nearly 5 years old and most of the contributors, "Taff" rarely if ever comes on here now.

I fitted a none return valve in the fuel line of my Beauford and has made no difference at all, therefore my problem seems to be fuel evaporation in the carb and not fuel flowing back to the tank.

#12 Gargoil

Gargoil

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 14
  • 244 posts
  • Car type:Exmo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

I fitted one recently, between pump and carb. It did help slightly with the starting but not by much.

#13 IanS

IanS

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 14
  • 220 posts
  • Car type:exmo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

I went electric pump plus mechanical pump.
Push button to run the lecy pump and prime. Mechanical pump takes over when running so no need for cut off relay etc. as lecy pump only used to start.

#14 maccavvy

maccavvy

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 14
  • 1,204 posts
  • Car type:Holden monaro and a Robin Hood 2B pinto power

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

if stood fopr a long period I just throw a cap full of fuel down each carb. soon starts then. saves turning over on starter all the time
Understeer , when the front hits a wall
Oversteer, when the back hits a wall
Horsepower ,how fast you hit the wall
Torque ,how far you take the wall with you.

#15 Snapperpaul

Snapperpaul

Wheely psychotic builder

• Community user
  • 4,704 posts
  • Car type:Series 3a now with added 2.1 Pinto on MegaJolt and Bike carbs

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

I would fit it near the tank, fuel will be held in the line from the carb.
If you have mechanical pump it will be primed quickly and the fuel will lift the small distance from tank to non return valve easily
If fitting an electric pump they prefer to push not pull so fit non return as near to tank as possible
As I have a Malpasi filter king near the carbs this provides a small fuel resrve to help starting
665-neigbour of the Beast.

SVA passed first time 17th July 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users