Bike Carbs For A Pinto

Guest paul091085

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry
Whats a chalk board

I'm not sure - when I started school we had small slates with a wooden surround.

Once you could form letters on this and write simple legible words you progressed onto pencil and paper

Guest alan rowe

anyway back to the main theme - Paul, I looked for the telephone number for Peter Baldwin last night but no luck - he's located behind the MG garage in the centre of Wimpole (on the left if you are going towards Cambridge)

A

Guest Takumi

I'v bought a couple of sets of bike cabrs, swipped off ebay. I

The carbs im going to use on my 2L have smaller 34mm chokes but as the engine isn't hugely modified I think this will be fine. (Mikuni BSR34 off ebay for £6!!)

I also managed to get some 38mm Keihin carbs, but the manifold proved more awkward to make.

The engine is all ready to bolt back together, but still looking for a new camshaft and followers..

tak

Guest Takumi

I think a good guide is not to go too big in terms of venturi / throttle size, you end up loosing so much low-mid range torque. :o

Keeping the size conservative means higher air velocity and more torque and fuel economy. :)

my engine is a 2.1 pinto with standard head with a lightened and balanced flywheel and bottom end.

This is the spec of mine.....4x Mikuni 38mm GSXR carbs on a home built, strait manifold, 2.1 Pinto injection rods V6 pistons, standard injection head, thin gasket with Kent FR32 and Megajolt with a base map.

I have a rolling road printout for 130bhp @ 5,800 and a peak 135 FtLbs, I don't know wether it is at the flywheel or at the wheels, I would suspect flywheel bhp.

My feeling is that with a bit more compression and a ported head i should be in the 150's and that will do until i get infected with Zetec or Duratec fever and whilst this is cureable the prescription charge is about £2,000 according to Nigel :rolleyes:

Guest DRC7

I would have thought 130bhp was at the wheels if it is at the flywheel then there is not much gain given the standard sierra 2.0i was knocking out between 115-120 bhp so if yours is producing 130 at the wheels then allowing 10-15% for transmission losses then your engine would be producing between 143-149 bhp at the flywheel

I would have thought 130bhp was at the wheels if it is at the flywheel then there is not much gain given the standard sierra 2.0i was knocking out between 115-120 bhp so if yours is producing 130 at the wheels then allowing 10-15% for transmission losses then your engine would be producing between 143-149 bhp at the flywheel

Thats what i am hopeing for but don't want to overestimate until i am sure and don't want to disapoint paul091085 if his results are not as good as expected.

Realistically the pinto is a 100bhp lump the injection head probably made more difference than the fuel injection itself. The big gains on a pinto are in the head + how it all goes together.

Its all good fun persuing the bhp numbers but over 150bhp and it starts to eat money, next step is the Zetec, Duratec and bike throttle bodies. More sleepless nights thinking how to do it ( and how to pay for it)

Guest paul091085

im not too worried about BHP figures at the moment. Havnt had the car for long and the other car i drive when i cant use the hood is a 1.6 ford orion. So compared to that, the hood is like a rocket ship :lol:

I fitted the bike carbs as they would give me a bit more power and the total cost of fitting them was a touch over 100 quid!! Compared to fitting twin 40/45's which costs around the 200 quid mark and seem a lot more hassle.

Eventually im sure ill get used to the power and be wanting more, so changing the head will be on the cards. But for now im happy :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paul091085

Alan, managed to have a search on the web and found the number for Peter Baldwin. Click Here

Gave him a ring and its £75 + vat per hour and then its charged per 15mins after that. He can tune bike carbs but doesnt keep parts for them.

Paul