Bike Carbs For A Pinto

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

Was looking through the for sale section a while back and saw a hood fitted with bike carbs but dont know who it was. Has anyone else fitted some and if so, wat are they like compared to webers and how easy are they to fit?

Paul :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MrSandman

I have R1 carbs fitted to my Pinto. I didn't fit them as I bought the car ready built.

They are straight forward enough though once you have a manifold. Most folk recommend the bike fuel pump but mine runs the standard pinto mechanical pump with no problems.

Bottom end is much smoother than webers and the carbs are easier to set up.

Bogg Bros do manifolds for bike carbs for £175 and will rejet and rebuild your bike carbs if required. There is an article in PPC March 06 with details. Supposed to be much smoother throughout the rev range, equal power to webbers and don't require all the fiddling and retuning. The article ends by saying 'At these prices the death knell for the DCOE rings louder.'

Nigel

'At these prices the death knell for the DCOE rings louder.'
DCOE's are still outrageous in price. I also think that bike throttle bodies are the way to go with a megasquirt. At 2000gbp for Jenvey or the like its a big big investment. Also seems to be more info on the Megasquirt than the megajolt.

Guest paul091085

have been looking on ebay at R1 carbs and they dont seem all that expensive. £99.99 for some that had recently been serviced. Just the manifold that seems to be the more expensive part, or that could change if you feel like fabricating one yourself :)

I recon, manifold probably hand built, fuel pump one off the bike could be good, fuel return to the tank, swirl pot, filter. Then for the Megajolt n squirt, Ford EDIS module, crank sensor wheel, crank position sensor, ignition pack,water temp, intake temp,trottle position or manifold preasure sensor. plus the megasquirt bits.

Google megasquirt for more info.

I have found them very smooth, no flat spots, different starting technique especially when cold, (like tonight 40 mile run brrr!) but you do get quite a smell of petrol at times. and I still haven't got a filter/s sorted. These are R1s on Boggs manifold, jetted by them.

Peter

post-6-1142979542.jpg

Guest docter fox

peter, how much do you think you spent on the conversion?

if anyone is ever up at bogg brothers let me know, I'd like to pop across and be nosey :D

Guest salty_monk

Snapperpaul, you seem to be talking about throttle bodies (also off a bike) not bike carbs....

With Bike carbs they are almost a direct replacement for twin webbers, just need a manifold & make a cable linkage.

Peter your petrol smell may be something to do with using the sierra pump... Have you got a pressure regulator in the line? Might help to fit an adjustable one. The pump may be pushing too much pressure & forcing it's way past a valve or summat at high revs...

Second Dans post Peter. Bike carbs run at 2-3psi. They have piddly small float bowls so an electric pump off a bike is the perfect solution to keeping the bowls full without flooding. I have seen posts complaining that an after market pressure regulator could not get the pressure down low enough to stop flooding!

Nigel