Bike Carbs For A Pinto

Guest paul091085

I have a standard fuel pump and filter king regulator, courtesy of Dr. Fox, on minimal setting. Steve Boggs said 2psi he has been very helpful. Perhaps I will have to try a bike pump. As for costs it got a bit complicated but around £260, most of which is the manifold. If you could make your own like Dr. Nigel then it could be done for about £60. I would like to go to Boggs, talking on the phone once we were drowned out by a high revving engine which I thought was a bike, no said steve its just a pinto, 8000 revs!

Peter.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCOE's are still outrageous in price. I also think that bike throttle bodies are the way to go with a megasquirt. At 2000gbp for Jenvey or the like its a big big investment. Also seems to be more info on the Megasquirt than the megajolt.

Snapperpaul, you seem to be talking about throttle bodies (also off a bike) not bike carbs....

Im very tempted to go down the bike throttle body route, what exactly would i need to convert from a twin choke webber(not dcoe)?

Salty if you go further back in the post you will see the development from bike carbs to bike throttle bodies in the post. Very interesting.

I have GSXR carbs on an engine not fitted yet, with a Megajolt. The manifold is hand made and straight. Vacuum comes from each carb in to a mini manifold thats splits to the servo and the MAP sensor. Megajolt fires a coilpack via EDIS.

My main problem is computer ineptitude, hav'nt even managed to download the Megajot stuff yet so am stuck with the map in the box, and cant find any usefull maps. The Mega squirt is much more catered for it seems.

With more people going bike carbs then the next progression will be bike throttle bodies and we need more info on the ECU side of things.

Guest MrSandman

I am running R1 carbs on my Pinto with a 285 cam. Peters fuel smell is due to stand-off. This is caused by the valve overlap at low revs pushing mixture back out of the inlets.

An air filter helps this as do ram pipes. An airbox virtually illiminates it.

I have a foam filter but no ram pipes (YET!) and no box. This may change to meet Donington noise regs.

I am running on the standard mechanical pump with no ill effects. I have no idea what pressure these run at though.

Guest docter fox

so bike carbs sound like quite an interesting and relatively simple upgrade, would it be possible to re-jet the carbs myself or is it a job best left to the professionals?

now who's going to make me a manifold? :D

you can buy the re jet kits quite easy , depending on model .

megajolt stuff is pretty easy too , you should be able to change that map quite easy to your own specs .

manifolds shouldnt be too hard either !!

Guest docter fox

are any particular bike carbs better than others? I'm guessing it's still mainly a case of trial and error to set up if the rest of the engine isn't standard :unsure:

this month of the road could be a long month <_<

Guest docter fox

I saw those but I think I may be able to get a manifold made up (any probs with mild steel?) and this would be the biggest cost factor reduced quite a bit :)

Guest salty_monk

Should be no problem with mild steel manifold, as long as it's sealed.

Lots of older cars use cast iron so can't see that steel makes any difference, Aluminium is lighter & nicer to look at though...

Maybe paint it with barbecue paint or summat... (outside)

Guest cryoman
are any particular bike carbs better than others? I'm guessing it's still mainly a case of trial and error to set up if the rest of the engine isn't standard :unsure:

this month of the road could be a long month <_<

I have fitted gsxr 600 carbs to a pinto. The carbs are seperate castings and all fit on a very long bolt. You can seperate the carbs and align the centres to the inlet port centres, then reconstruct using stud bar, making the fabrication of a manifold slightly easier. I rejetted to 1.7mm ( Phoned Bogg Brothers) and it seems to work fine.

You will need to extend the fuel rail and the throttle linkage tabs. I had the inlet manifold plate, and a plate to take the original bike rubbers laser cut in stainless steel. I will try to attach pics later.

Guest docter fox

I like the idea of the long bolt to adjust the spacing, are any other carbs like this?

when fitted to a pinto, would there be any difference performace in whether the carbs were from a 600cc bike or something nearer 1000?

is their a good online guide to the whole process of fitting them? (i'm just on the way out to look for PPC)

Second Dans post Peter. Bike carbs run at 2-3psi. They have piddly small float bowls so an electric pump off a bike is the perfect solution to keeping the bowls full without flooding. I have seen posts complaining that an after market pressure regulator could not get the pressure down low enough to stop flooding!

Nigel

I agree (allthough I'm not up on the modern big bikes these days).

Most bikes were just gravity fed and so there can't be that much pressure required.