Chassis Member In Front Of Speedo Drive?

Guest jcb1300

Guest jcb1300

On any of the 2B's anyones built or rebuilt or had dealings with have you known one of the chassis upright tubular sections to run directly in front of the speedo drive?

I realise that you can buy a 90 degree adaptor to aleviate this problem but I've just been watching the build video and at no time does it show the speedo drive being obscured by the chassis. Mine's got a cut-out section in the chassis tube which concerns me somewhat or is that a standard bodge??:

I'm really confused because the prop, box and engine all line up nicely??

I must admit watching the video makes me realise that my car isn't that badly built after all.

Cheers

Ian :unsure: :unsure:

Guest TerryBarry

On my 2B the speedo drive is just in front of the chassis upright tube

The drive is directly in line with the "mousehole" in the reinforcing plate where the speedo cable comes through.

Here's a pic of the area

post-7-1143914513.jpg

Hi Ian

Have you changed from 4 Speed to 5?, if so i think the 5 speed sits another 2" further back, you need to remove some of the tag at the bottom near the mount, it does say in the video, but can others confirm this?, seems a long time since i fitted mine now.

Mitch

Guest jcb1300

Gents

Afraid mine doesn't tie up with any of the suggestions. The drive output sit towards the rear of the downtube which has a slot cut in it to accomodate the cable. Doesn't seem safe to me because the tube is obviously weakened.

A 4 speed box would probably solve the problem which may tie up with Mitches theory that this may be a Robin Hood prototype that escaped the factory?

The more I get into this car the more I am intrigued.

I really would love to find out some history but sadly the fella who owned it and the fella before don't want to or won't help. I e mailed the North east hoodies and also got no reply.(Does the NE still exist?)

Ner mind, we'll get round it.

best wishes

Ian

Guest Battery Bill

Ian

I really would love to find out some history but sadly the fella who owned it and the fella before don't want to or won't help

We are the same with our second 2B it apparently had 4 previous owners None who own up to doing any of the dodgy bits involving Copper water pipe and selotape :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Is it possible that one of the previous owners has somehow managed to mount the engine and box an inch or so too far rearwards in the chassis? Then cut into the chassis down tube to fit the speedo cable. I doubt RH would do that even to a prototype chassis without welding on some reinforcement to compensate.

Nigel

Guest jcb1300
Is it possible that one of the previous owners has somehow managed to mount the engine and box an inch or so too far rearwards in the chassis? Then cut into the chassis down tube to fit the speedo cable. I doubt RH would do that even to a prototype chassis without welding on some reinforcement to compensate.

Nigel

I must admit that had crossed my mind so the next question is how do I move it all forward? The engine mountings appear to be fine and can't be moved which dictates the rest of the drive train position.

Watching the video the fella briefly mentions 2 different engine mountings, could that be my problem??

Cheers again

Ian

you need the ally mounts, not the cast iron ones

not sure if they fit either way (left on right)

that could be your problem

from memory the chassis end is more to the front than the engine end if that makes sense?

dave

Ian engine sits in same place with any box, but its the gearbox mount that moves slightly forward/backward.

In the video richard marks a small area to cut away for the five speed for it to site correctly.

The propshaft is long enough to compensate for a 1" movement without needing the engine moved.

Anyone still building with a pic of the plate which is cut to show Ian?

Mitch

Guest TerryBarry

Here's a pic showing the alloy engine mounting brackets.

Although it is possible to reverse the brackets - the error is quickly obvious

post-7-1143972880.jpg

Guest mark kingston

if its an early 2b (ie sliding pillar from the original batch) then this was a problem which if my memory serves me correctly richard on the build videos suggested attacking the chassis tube with a hammer to flatten in locally to clear the cable.

you will know if its an early batch chassis as it was designed for the instruments to fit above the steering column directly infront of the driver rather than in the center of the car as on later batch chassis.

regards

Mark Kingston

Guest jcb1300
Ian engine sits in same place with any box, but its the gearbox mount that moves slightly forward/backward.

In the video richard marks a small area to cut away for the five speed for it to site correctly.

The propshaft is long enough to compensate for a 1" movement without needing the engine moved.

Anyone still building with a pic of the plate which is cut to show Ian?

Mitch

Mitch

If I move the box, I must move the engine because they are bolted together. looking at the prop theres hardly any silver shaft showing which would allow for approx 50mm movement forward. Only problem is if I do that the engine mountings don't line up which would point to the engine mounting brackets being the wrong ones.

I'd attach a photo but can't seem to achieve that either.

Ta Ian

Ian

The 4 speed and later 5 speed are diferent lengths, and the speedo cable may be located in a dif place, that and the metal to remove on the mount plate may make easier to get the cable in.Its the mount that moves not the box, but if you have changed one for the other and not moved mount this could be the problem

The Chassi is a later Sliding pillar with clocks in the centre.

Mitch

Ps thanks for the pic Bill ;)