Winter Projects Finished

niduncan

Today my hood hit the road again after 179 hours of work since last November. Jobs done:

Removed engine and replaced clutch (causing judder), replaced gearbox

(synchromesh on 2nd gone), replaced head with unleaded one.

Fitted shortened sump - clearance is now 7 inches.

Put heat protection around footwell.

Cleaned and painted just about everything in the engine bay.

Build a Megajolt unit, mounted trigger wheel and sensor, made new wiring loom.

Replaced seat belt harnesses with inertia belts.

Hopefully the rebuilditis disease will stay away for a while, I just want to drive it now.

Has anybody got any working Megajolt maps for a 2lt pinto? I am running a Weber 32/36DGV and using the vacuum takeoff to feed the Megajolt MAP sensor. At idle the pressure is about 100kPa and as the engine is reved the pressure drops to about 20kPa. Going by info found on the web idle should be about 20-30kPa rising to 100kPa at full throttle, mine seems to be doing the opposite! Is this dependant on carb type and where the vacuum is taken from? I have downloaded several maps but most seem to be for a Throttle Position Sensor. Do we have any Megajolt experts in the club?

post-13-1145300748.jpg

Guest salty_monk

Looking good Nigel... You know Big Jim's going to tell you off for that filter though!! :D

Did you keep a little notepad to jot down the hours then :p :lol:

If you go on www.wscc.co.uk boardroom (forum) you'll find Bill Shurvington on there, he's a megasquirt wizz for sure & I'm assuming he probably also knows some about Mega Jolt....

There's also http://www.msefi.com/ which is full of info.

:)

Yep the filter is a problem, I did buy another type to replace it but there is so little room between the carb and bonnet it would not fit!

Notepad? No - a build diary that I have been keeping since visiting RHE prior to buying the kit in 1997.

I bought some of the Megajolt parts from Bill, must drop him an e-mail.

Guest salty_monk

There's a Pipercross filter that will fit... Demon Thieves do them but there are cheaper places.

See: DSCF0720.jpg

Build Diaries are great things to have, helpful for others & good if you want to sell it so don't take that the wrong way. It just tickled me that you knew how many hours you'd spent on it, I would have lost count after the first 10... :D

Oh by the way... does the hour count incl hob nob & tea breaks or not :p :lol:

Tea breaks not included!

It does include hours done by Her in Doors! Luckily I have a wife who loves to get her hands dirty, she helped with the engine removal and re-fitting. She did all the interior trimming, carpets an vinyl. Must be a pain if you have a wife who does not understand the joy of being a Hoodie!

Nigel that looks really good! Regarding the vacuum what you have got is the right way around, it will create a good vacuum with the throttle shut as it trys to suck air in but when the throttle is open there is a big hole to atmosphere so the vacuum drops. Once upon a time ford used to fit vacuum operated wipers which went like mad at tick over but at speed? they would practically stop, not very useful.

Peter

Guest docter fox
It just tickled me that you knew how many hours you'd spent on it, I would have lost count after the first 10... :D

same here :lol: and I'd be counting breaks for hobnobs so it sounds like I do a lot of work :D

engine is looking great :)

Guest Bob Rowell

I remember those wipers Peter, I had several of the older Fords, all 'interesting' to drive uphill if it was raining. If you tried really hard you could get the wipers to stop completely!

Guest Petemate

Being of somewhat advanced years, I too remember the old Ford vacuum wipers. There was a tank available to fit for a reserve of vacuum - HA! no bl**dy good whatever; try climbing a long hill - halfway up the vac would STILL disappear. Many mates with them converted to leccy wipers. (years ago....)

Pete

Peter,

The vacuum at idle is 100kPa which is just about atmospheric pressure (102kPa) which means no vacuum! The harder you rev the engine the more vacuum is created ie the pressure drops to 20kPa.

If I power up the Megajolt on the bench connected to a laptop the pressure is 102kPa. If you suck the pipe going to the MAP sensor the pressure drops i.e. goes towards 0kPa which would be a perfect vacuum, if you blow, the pressure rises above 102kPa i.e. 120kPa.

This concept seems to confuse a lot of people going by explanations I have found on the web, so I am not alone being confused!

Nigel, sounds like the vacuum take of on your carb is the air side of the butterfly not the engine side. Perhaps drill a takeoff in the manifold plenum for the correct reading.

Car looks great. I,ve put in some hours this winter and still not finished and it still looks like an old wreck! :boohoo:

Nigel

This web article describes the vacuum fluctuations that you may find, but not in Kpa.

Vacuum guages

sounds like the vacuum take of on your carb is the air side of the butterfly not the engine side

If i can find it i have a very good ilustration in the Weber carb manual that shows the expected pressures before and after the throttle butterflies.

I do agree with Longboarder.

Nigel,

You have hit the nail on the head. The vacuum takeoff is on the air side of the butterfly, so at idle there is virtually no vacuum. I suspect that most people take the vacuum from the manifold which at idle will have a high vacuum - 20 to 30kPa.

My pressure readings are not a problem though. All the pressure readings do are indicate the load on the engine so all I do is set up the ignition map in the Megajolt to work with the pressure back to front.

Snapperpaul,

Any Weber info would be gratefully appreciated. Your mention of Vacuum Gauges set me thinking - RHE supplied a set of 4 2"guages with the kit, I have just had a rummage in the garage and managed to find them as I never used them. One of them is a vacuum gauage so I think I shall have a play with it, the only problem is it is calibrated in inches of mercury. I think that 100kPa = 30InHg.

Thanks guy's.