Pi***d Off Of Romford

Guest Andy Hamilton

Guest chris brown
Did you go for 1.9 13x9 on the front with 8" 350 springs?
12" open 9" closed 325lb springs but calnt remember if they are 8" or 9". Remember the 2B requires much heavier springs than any other Hood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running 130lb springs with some preload but I suspect they go coilbound on extreme braking leading to understeer. The left front shock has started leaking so I took the oportunity to go one inch shorter with slightly stronger springs especialy as the engine is some 20 kilos lighter.

Will get the old 15 x 10 x 1.9's rebuilt for £25 each and save the old springs too in case the new setup doesn't work out. Just love doing the R&D for RH. When you think he supplied 180lb and zeemers! :gdit: Didn't Colin Chapman say something like 'soft springs and lots of damping' or was it the opposite. :rolleyes:

Nigel

Guest Andy Hamilton

Nice one Nigel :D :D :D

maybe in your capacity as 'Head of R&D at Robin Hood', you could do some research into the whereabouts of my badge set sent out by Robin Hood. I strongly suspect that there is no RH fault here, just the unreliable snail mail.

I have obviously got one of the unlucky ones of the 13 million letters that are lost by royal mail each year.

What are the chances of that happening?? :D (high)

Guest Andy Hamilton

No zimmers on the back, still got the old sierra suspension..... Was planning to change that over winter maybe, along with the fronts to AVO's, but the fronts will have to come sooner (tomorrow)

At least this way it spreads the cost :lol: :lol:

If it is any consulation I found the SVA a lot less intimidating than the aura which has built up around it and went through the 'it's always darkest before the dawn' stage with an engine p155ing oil when I'd booked the SVA. KEEP GOING it's worth it.

Guest Battery Bill
I don't know whether to take that reply from Mr Castle seriously or not.  I am not exactly in the mood for picking after todays jaunt....... SVA is not for a while, and the SVA trimming is far from complete. I have read the SVA manual from cover to cover so I should be ok on the day for that......... Sorry for the rant, but not good timing hey Dave?

Hey Mr Grumpy, Dave was only trying to help :p :p :lol: :lol:

If its safe for me to say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: On our first journey we were mildy dissapointed at the fact we also bottomed out on the first bump, you will probably find even with your new Shockers whatever they may be you might still bottom "The Plough" on the faster bumpy bits. Its bl00dy scarey at first but you do get used to it. We did wind our Zeemers up a lot and they were nearly coilbound but at least it stopped us bottoming out, but it did not help the handling.

One thing you could try is move the lower Shocker bracket further inboard (If you can)

not meaning to rub salt in the wound but have you got zimmers on the back as well?

See everyone is scared to talk now :lol: :lol: :p :p

Neil have you put this in the wrong place? 

Ian j

Except Ian who is not scared of nobody :ph34r:

Finally I agree with Neil the build up to SVA is far more daunting than the actual day, So Chill out Mr Misery I hope Laura has some good ear defenders at the moment :lol: :p

Guest salty_monk

I guess mine must be the steel top cap zimmers then... certainly black at the top & red springs not green... No signs of coil boundness yet, plenty to go on the thread, it's near the bottom. Car has about 3500 on it.

Image022.jpg

I know Gaz or Avo's or Dampertech would be better....

MNR do a good price on the shocks I think.

For a cheaper option you could have simply got new springs... around £12.50 a set.

Dan :)

Guest Andy Hamilton

Not too grumpy now after all of the helpful comments. Lucky I didn't post a reply earlier on, I was like a bear with a sore head! :lol: :lol:

Looks like an easy job, just dissapointing.

Guest ScotMac

Yes, Nigel, i believe that is what Chapman said. Something about the less stiff springs letting the shocks move a bit more, and thus do their job. But it is all relative. I don't think he meant soft springs...just softer than the other racers of the time.

-sm

Guest Andy Hamilton

Well, I have ordered the AVO's and they will arrive later this week (from Merlin Motorsport) I went for 1.9" 13x9's with bonded bushes, but forgot to even mention steel or ally, so we will have to see what arrives. I asked for 350lbs springs and they will size them for me (either 8" or 9").

Didn't even bother asking the cost, thought better of it.

Eventually got my RHSC badge kit as well. Appears that the correct postage was not put on the parcel, so I had to pay £1.18 to get them. that is not all, there was no enamel badge and no receipt......... not sure what is happening at RHSC, but it seems a bit of a mess. If you read this post guys, I think you need to start getting your act together with regards customer services. This is the second item I have bought under the new owners, and both times there has been a mistake made with the delivery.

No offer was made to refund the £1.18, it isn't the money, it is the principal. A package was never going to get here on a second class stamp! At least Clive has said he will pst out the enamel badge, cheers chap. just keep working at it, I think we know what a mess the company was in!!

I've been running 130lb springs with some preload but I suspect they go coilbound on extreme braking leading to understeer. The left front shock has started leaking so I took the oportunity to go one inch shorter with slightly stronger springs especialy as the engine is some 20 kilos lighter.

coilovers going coilbound / hitting the bumpstops excessively does cause them to leak, so it's fair to say they probably were reaching the end of their travels!

Guest Andy Hamilton

Just to add a question to this to try to find out if a rumour is true.

Clive at RHSC told me today that Richard (Stewart) designed and made the zeemerides himself at RHE......

Is this true???? :huh: :huh: :huh: