Pi***d Off Of Romford

Guest Andy Hamilton

Hey, quit knocking Richard. He was a visionary who put together a unique kit that allowed many enthusiasts to build a car they never could otherwise own. He did cheap shockers by sourcing thousands of cheap mini shocks, welding up a bit of tube to a collar, putting a thread on the outside, sourcing some big nuts and yet another bit for the kit was ready, almost for pence. That's how he was able to offer a full kit, just find an old sierra and you could genuinly have a LSIS for under £1000. This was way cheaper than any other manufacturer at the time.

OK a lot of it has now passed its sell-by date and Richards style kit with lo-cost taking precedence, sometimes at the cost of some performance may have had its day but he was there, grumping away at the shows, but banging out the kits for years, you never lost your cash,(imagine being part way through a Luego build for all its 'superior design') and you were able to build and own a dream for B all money.

The new owners have probably arrived at about the right time and things are changing but it will cost. One of the changes is apparently shocks. (They are listening) There's a new chassis etc.

(To paraphrase)

Each generation sees further only because it stands on the shoulders of the generation that went before.

Nigel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andy Hamilton

I wasn't really knocking Richard, but lets look at this from a different view point.

You and I know that he was visionary, bordering on genius, but the execution was mediocre at best. Richard (to me) appeared as a frustrated man who knew what he wanted to do, but not how to do it 100% sucessfully.

Look at it from the ousider. As I had to explain to a car nut last night. I was explaining about the front suspension collapsing, and taking one look at the front coil overs, he said 'not surprised looking at those pieces of sh**!'

At which point I had to explain this visionary former owner/developer of Robin Hood Engineering, and how he made these himself to keep the kit cheap. Again, just think of trying to explain to others that although it is a piece of sh**, you understand what he was trying to achieve. Believe me, without owning a hood, these outsiders will never understand Richard's ethos.

That is what I mean by my comment on Richard. It is a very difficult method of engineering to explain. Being an engineer, this is not how we work. Cost is of great importance, but functionality is much higher. Richard just got them in the wrong order.

I know Andy, just as I know that it is pointless to try to overcome the prejudices of a portion of the seven owning community. We all meet open minded seven owners who are as interested in our cars as we are in theirs just as we also unfortunately bump into the closed minded plonkers.

I have experienced many of the shortcomings of Richard's products and read here of most of the others and I was putting my particular, possibly unbalanced, view with the intention of reminding the newer Hoodies of how and why we all got here.

It is time for change at Robin Hood to remove the substandard bits of the kit but not the ethos of the company. That as I see it is the most economical start in seven ownership and a part in one of the best car clubs in the country. Without Richard Stewart neither would have happened.

Nigel

Richard just got them in the wrong order
I think he got them in the right order at the start, just kept them in the wrong order for a bit too long.

Guest Nishka

Just to add my 2p worth!

Problems there undoubtedly have been with the standard of the product and service offered by RHE. They have indeed acknowledges this themselves.

However it is testament to the unique qualities of Richard Steward, that we now have more Robin Hood Cars collected by customers (even if not all are finished), and he introduced more people to kit car ownership than any other person or company.

What is without doubt his most memorable achievement, to date, however is that without him we would not all be members of the greatest car club certainly in the UK if not over a larger area, and for that alone I thank him.

IMHO

Nishka :ph34r:

Guest Ian & Carole

here here that says it all.

Like all of you we have on the road a great car that we built and is ours and unique to it's self and us. :wub: :wub:

All for under £3K :) :) (at SVA) bit more now with new engine at (cough) amount of money. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No where else could that be done. :rolleyes:

Ian J

Guest Andy Hamilton

Couldn't agree more, after all, I bought one didn't I :D :D

and no matter how much the suspension has annoyed/disappointed/upset me, I still love my Robin Hood. It is, after all is said and done, unique.

I am proud to say that I 'BUILT' my car not 'ASSEMBLED' it

Guest Ian & Carole

Just been told off by Carole :gdit: :boohoo:

Should have been hear hear

if she said that was wrong then it was wrong :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Carole Johnson RNMH, BSc (Hons)

smart arse but dont tell her.

Soon to be RM just to add to it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Nishka

My sister is RMNH as well - she always says that since where she works they have stopped wearing uniform it is now difficult to tell who the staff are!!! :blink: :huh: :mellow:

Runs for cover and hides!

Nishka :ph34r:

Guest Andy Hamilton

I feel like I am missing something on the letters front, what does it mean?

Here are mine (all real)

Andy Hamilton BEng (Hons) MSc MCGI AMIMechE

'ave it!

I feel like I am missing something on the letters front, what does it mean?

Here are mine (all real)

Andy Hamilton BEng (Hons) MSc MCGI AMIMechE

'ave it!

and after all that, you still can't get the pistons in an engine to reciprocate in the right order ;)