Pi***d Off Of Romford

Guest Andy Hamilton

Guest Andy Hamilton

AAARRRGGGHHH!

took the 2B for its first spin today to the DVLA for it's built up inspection. All was going ok for about.......... 1 MILE!!!!! :boohoo:

then those bloomin zeemercrap rides, which appear to be made from licquorice, decided to completely collapse! :angry:

I was planning on changing them soon after SVA but not after 1 mile! I managed to nurse it to Chelmsford (about 20 miles) but it just kept bottoming out on the road (lucky I have an RS 2000 sump). After getting it inspected, which took all of 10 mins, I had to make a decision about whether to risk driving home or not.

After a lot of debating, we decided it would just have to get us home, even if we had to drive at 10 miles per hour. :unsure: :unsure:

At the halfway point home, I decided enough was enough, we couldn't go on. The upper wishbones had snapped my lovely wire routers off my headlights, and we were even managing to bottom out on grains of sand 50 microns high!!!! So we pulled off the main route home and parked up. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

After another debate for 10 mins, I looked up (head was in hands after all) and I saw the light...... well I saw a garage! :wub: I went and asked the bloke if there was anything he could do to raise the ride height just to get me home. He came back with two large monkey wrenches, and adjusted the coil overs until they were virtually pontefract cakes!

We discussed the car, and strangely enough, one of his mates is building a 2B in Mountnessing. (the garage is in Doddinghurst if you know him) So if you are on this forum, ditch your zeemerides NOW!!

He didn't charge us a penny (which was nice) and we got home not hitting another bit of tarmac, but thoroughly dissapointed.

Now need to get some AVO's or GAZ's to replace the rubbish Licquorice stringy things in the front.

Also need to redo the tappets, but other than that the journey was amazing

Zeemerides Schmeemerides! :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andy Hamilton

Nothing broke, it was like the coils hadn't been heat treated, they just went coil bound, even with no load on them they stayed compressed...... :angry:

Guest chris brown

It would seem that zimmerframes with the alloy top spring cups are all like that. Some people seem to live with them but I agree they are crap. BTW the earlier ones with the black steel tops were much (figuratively speaking) better but still suffered from bush failure due to them not being designed as coilovers in the first place.

Guest Andy Hamilton

I don't know whether to take that reply from Mr Castle seriously or not. <_< I am not exactly in the mood for picking after todays jaunt....... SVA is not for a while, and the SVA trimming is far from complete. I have read the SVA manual from cover to cover so I should be ok on the day for that......... Sorry for the rant, but not good timing hey Dave? :wub:

I have far more pressing concerns in the bag of sh**e shocks that came with the kit :angry: :angry:

Nigel, where did you get your AVO's from?

I called Merlin today to try to get a discount, and they said they may be able to do a little bit (prob as I have spent so much with them)

Did you go for 1.9 13x9 on the front with 8" 350 springs?

Looking at the best part of £185 for the fronts I think. :D I love spending cash!

Guest Andy Hamilton

S'ok dave, just a bad day at the office as they say. The car is finished, just not SVA proof yet. I see that as a days work. I would rather get the safety critical things out of the way first then get onto the 'appease the SVA guys' bit at the end.

I have built it all with SVA in mind, so hopefully all will be ok...... after trimming the sharp edges that is!

Guest Andy Hamilton

Interestingly light loading on the springs Nigel.

We raced a 550kg Locost for the last 3 years on 375's but I suppose that was very stiff! They were classic AVO's that had a free AVO rebuild each year, but never went wrong.

I like that idea :wub: :wub: