Which Kit?

Guest Goaty

Guest Goaty

Hey,

I am new to the kit car world but have really got my heart set on building a 7 style kit.

I know what engine i am using but i was hoping anyone could help me make the choice of which kit would be suitable.

The engine is a 2.1 Supercharged Zetec running 300+bhp and i imagine torque wont be much less either.

I have been planning to use the RH 2B+ kit but have been hearing things about the strength of them, and it may not handle it, especially if i am using it on the track for fun.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

joe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tom2b

the 2b in my opinion is probably one of the strongest kits around due to its tubular construction. Id imagine the new "hood" would be an ideal candidate for your monster of an engine.

The Super Spec came with a 200bhp turbo option and has had no problems with the power that i have heard about, and there are V6 and V8 versions about.

If you have 300bhp, then what ever you put it in you will have to be prepared to develop the chassis a bit.

The 2b is stronger than the average 7 type chassis and the new Hood with its double wishbone front and rear could be just the thing, especially at the price.

Even if you don,t go the Robin Hood route, keep us informed of your progress, we are all Kit Car Petrol Heads and would like to hear how you get on.

Guest Goaty

Hi,

thanks for the replys.

I have been tempted by the 2b for a while now as a mate built one not too long ago and its so kool, i just have to have one. Especially if i can get my engine in fine.

I have been looking at the Locost's to but i dont like the idea of having a Live rear axle.

Also i have seen Unfinished project 2b's on ebay going from £1k+, so this is very tempting as other kits cost many thousands more. I will most likely go for the 2b for these reasons, aslong as there is no major set backs.

Can anyone tell me if the Zetec can fit to the MT75 Gbox as it does the 9? Can i then just use the sierra rear end set-up? including rear discs?

thanks again

Guest micky bigthumbs

Hiya joe ..doubt you will need rear discs RH's are overbraked with drums ... i think longboarder has just put a ztech in his 3 and i have seen some of the nottingham lads with ztechs there are some threads in Engine that show how to fit them and what fits onto them ( boxes ) fii in your profile some one may show you one or come to newark show there will be lotts there

Mick

Guest salty_monk

You can fit your zetec into any 2b reasonably easy with a Type 9 but understand you may be dubious about the power.

MT 75 will fit in a 2b but you'll have to make major chassis mods to widen the tunnel. The DOHC kit or the Superspec kit will take an MT75 as standard.

Not sure if the MT75 fits up to a Zetec but there is a guy in San Francisco who is mating a duratec to a T5 box & putting it in a lightweight..

Most Ford bits fit together with some modifcation....

Dan :)

Guest Goaty

thanks for the info, And i am nowing wondering what to d oas i dont want to go spending the money on the Superspec kit when i can get a 2b for under £2k.

Seeing as the MT75 wont fit then i may just have to take a chance and see how long a Type 9 can hold out, it will at least last the running in of the engine and rolling road set up. From there it could last or it may fall apart, i guess its something i will have to try.

But at least the Chassis should hold together, and from the sounds of it i can fit a Zetec with a charger.

Can anyone tell me which sierra or Granada i can get the rear ubs from to fit rear discs?

thanks again

You must have spent loads on the Zetec and would have thought that you had a Dyno sheet with it??

If you have spent loads on the engine then to maximise the available power you should have an LSD and also look at one of Burtons finest close ratio gear sets by Quaife, these fit in the type 9 box ,give much better ratios and will take 275 bhp or revs over 7500, don't worry that you have 300bhp your not racing it full time so the box should be good. Ultimately and to save a lot of money the Cosworth T5 will take 300bhp all day and are going on ebay for around £300.

Guest Goaty

the engine is still being built so no read out as of yet, going to wait till its in the car to set up etc.

As for the lsd, am planning on one of them but anyone know which rear disc hubs i need?

How much work is it for a T5 to fit in the 2b?

thanks

Guest micky bigthumbs

Grim ...overbraked.. with the servo the siera system is designed to stop a car 4 times the weight of a hood ..you could take the servo off and the brakes would still be more than good enough

mick