Lightweight Sva

Guest ReadingTrev

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi All,

Just a quick note to thank everyone who has answered all my questions over the build, and also for the search facility, many more questions were answered here as it seems the same ones come up time and time again. (And most applied to me too!)

The last four and a half months have been the most fun I've had for years, I know that building a Robinhood isn't easy, but with all the help on here I've got there! Whatever the result on Tuesday, I will never forget the 24th March 2006 at Mansfield Woodhouse, the day I became "A HOODIE!"

Time to do battle with the SVA man on Tuesday.....................

Cheers,

Lightweight Trev.

PS - If anyone fancies a laugh then read today's update on my website.......

post-1706-1154904915_thumb.jpg

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Looking good :D

Never seen a header tank plumbed in that way I would think it's pressurised in which case you need to get a blank cap for the radiator (No pressure release spring) & use a header with a pressure release cap....

The bike bottles are normally only used in a "spit out & suck back" system as on the old Cortina's. There's no pressure to the bottle involved in that system. In that case you need to take the feed from the small pipe under the cap on the rad.

Dan :)

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi Dan,

It is a "spit out & suck back" system as on the old Cortina's, when the engine gets hot around a pint of fluid goes into the bottle, once cold is disappears.

My Rad is a "Maxcool" and has no rad cap or small pipe feed.

I'm sure the way I've set it up is not the norm(!), but it certainly works!

Lightweight Trev.

Guest salty_monk
Hi Dan,

It is a "spit out & suck back" system as on the old Cortina's, when the engine gets hot around a pint of fluid goes into the bottle, once cold is disappears.

My Rad is a "Maxcool" and has no rad cap or small pipe feed.

I'm sure the way I've set it up is not the norm(!), but it certainly works!

Lightweight Trev.

It can't be! If you have it connected in via a "T" in the "heater pipes" as per your pics it must be a pressurised system. This is confirmed by the fact your rad doesn't have the overflow pipe.

I don't think the way you have it set up is a problem, what worries me is that you are relying on the bike water bottle to pressurise the system. When the engine is running cool this won't be a problem but try caning it on a hot day & you might have some grief.

You have no "safety valve". Mine is set up in a similar way (although the header is "T'd" into the lower rad pipe but I have a proper header tank with pressurised cap.

The bike bottle could burst or blow it's top at any point (if it's sealed) & if it's not sealed then you won't be benefitting from any pressure in the system. Some pressure is good, water under pressure can run much hotter without boiling. If I was you I'd swap for a proper header tank. You have ample space to fit one in the same location....

Dan :)

It certainly looks like a non pressurised system Trev and Dan. I'm sure that water will enter the bottle when hot and suck back. It will boil at 100C as opposed to a pressurised system with say a 15lb cap which won't boil till it reaches 120+. The other thing which may cause problems is the system will not automaticaly bleed out any air that gathers in the rad or pipes.

I would advise fitting a pressurised header with your current pipe into the base and a small pipe off the thermostat housing bleed to the top of the header. As long as the water level is above the top of the block it should be fine.

Do it when ready and good luck for tomorrow. I will start the chanting. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMetc

Nigel

Guest warwick7735

Ok Trev

See it all comes together in the end, good luck for the SVA.

I know where to get a nice alloy header tank if you want one, as fitted to mine.

Happy motoring

Warwick