Acceration

Guest Takumi

Hi Guys,

I have a stainless 2B, with a 2.0 Pinto, big inlet valve head, ported & polished, FR32 cam & twin 40s.

I ran it a few times at North Weald drag strip last year.

Same engine, but fitted with a 38DGAS carb ran 82 mph, and 16.7 secs for the 1/4.

Fitted with the 40s reduced the time to 15.2, speed up to 87mph.

I was beating production cars which got to 95+, but were much slower off the line, its all down to the bricklike aerodynamics of a 7.

Bare car at SVA weighed 710kgs (no windscreen), but they allow an extra 200 kgs for two passengers and luggage (you wont get 50kgs in my boot!).

HTH Bob.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevor hooley

weve got an exmo with 2.1 pinto, rally cam and twin 40s' car weighed 695kgs with full tank and driver, 0-60 comes up in 5.1sec and it only needs 2nd to reach 60.... still running in so havent gone balls out yet. will stay on cam till 8600rpm 60 in second is 6100rpm.

Guest Takumi

oooway....

loads replies..hehe,, sucha a stiring topic.. :rolleyes:

If you want 60 in 2^nd gear, how about ( inj engines) replacing your conrod bolts with ARP, and rev to 7000rpm. :p :o would this get to 60mph..?

this would only work for widebeam conrods as fitted to the Injection engines., the ARP bolts easily pull 8000+ :blink: but youll need a lighweight piston and an even stronger conrod.. hahaha, , , maaad

condrods being £125 ea, and Forged pistons? 50..

would be about £750-850 for 8000rpm engine parts... dont forget the valve gear, high pressure springs.., maybe ahigh pressure & volume oil pump.. and an oil cooler, ( high rpm massivly heats oil :( ) probably close to a grand.. :(

forget it..

just buy a Cosworth YB ( maybe even a YBT) engine... or just the head and bits to put on yor 200/205 block...hehe

thnx for replies..

tak

Guest Takumi

some useful info.. a vague rule of thumb i read. ( 1/2 works)

to half your 0-30 time, you have to double the power used to accelerate the car.

to half your 0-60 time, you have to tripple the power,

a 1000kw Nissan Skyline (2.8L Turbo) will do 0-60 in 2.8s, 0-100 in 6.5s

and 0-187 mph in 14s ( achieved in 5th, out of 6 gears..) and onto a top speed of 235+mph

if you want to see it, http://movies.exvitermini.com/vsrh9.zip

and others at http://exvitermini.com/mvarious.htm

anyone fancy a 1200hp engine in 700 kg.. ???

hehe

tak

Guest timswait

My 2B weighed around 750 kg at SVA (interestingly a Tiger Super Six being done at the same time weighed about 600kg, don't you love RHE!) On the 1.6 stock carbed engine my best 0 -60 was around 8.5 secs, but this was fluke, I'd more normally get 9. 0 -100 was a bit optimistic! Since putting the 2.0 EFi in I've only tried once, and got 8 secs dead, this was a fairly poor run and with less wheelspin and slicker gear changes I reckon I could get around 7. Haven't tried 0 -100, but I do at least know it will do it.

This is 60 on the dial, which is actually 55 mph (know from SVA test) but seeing as everyone's speedo over reads by more or less the same amount this is fairly academic.

These times were set with hood and sidescreens not fitted, but when I've being driving on the motorway I've noticed big improvements in fuel economy and performance by having the hood on, so would imagine there would be some improvement by fitting this.

i'd really like to know how fast me car will accelerate but i guess ill have to wait till its built to find out (somewhere between 8.5 and 5.1 seconds if this thread is to be believed - im hopin for 7 from me 2l efi???) :ph34r:

Guest MtbMadness

Hi guys,

This is my first post, my 2B weighs in at under 700kg (approx 680) is only a 1.6 but pushing about 100Bhp (soon to be 120)

Don't know on a time buy its much faster than my Astra GSI (7.5secs to 60, 3rd gear - manufactures figures) even with the wind and road so close!

So how do you get a sub 5secs then?

I WANT A SUB 5 SEC's! :ph34r:

Guest MikeD318

Tie a big presureised gas bottle on to your 2b and whack the end off with a very big hammer. You might only get one go at this though.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anyone stupid enough to give this a go. If you are stupid enough to try this, humanity is probably better off without you anyway. :D

Seriously, by reducing weight and / or increasing power.

Reducing the weight of a Robin Hood isn't easy or cheap. You have to look at all the components (including body panels & chassis) and see if you can replace any of them with equivalent bits that are lighter.

Adding power is alot easier - eg, by fitting a 2L Vauxhall Astra GTE engine. Big Jim describes how to do this on the North West Hoodies site, for around a grand all in. Take a look at that for a good idea...

Sorry I don't have the URL to hand but I think there is a link to it on the "old" RHoCAR site which you can get to from the discussions index page.

Cheers

JonB

Guest TerryBarry

Get your car onto the flight deck of a US carrier.

Ask the launch controller nicely and he'll hook you onto the catapult.

Unfortunately you will get wet and the car will end up on the sea bed

But - What the Hell - you'll get a superb 0-60 time

Terry

If you got the bottle you could go on the bottle (Nitrous). Manufacturers recommend 20bhp increase per cylinder on a standard engine.

You can expect to pay around £500-£600. They are nothing like Mad Max anymore.

They basically work on a wide open throttle switch with an isolator so once you "arm" the system the nitrous is injected when you are flooring it. None of this fast & the furious button pressing nonsense.

80 BHP increase with a small weight gain.

Something to ponder, not sugesting you do it.