Sva Fail St Beverley

e666

Hi all

Took the spec for its SVA yesterday @ Beverley. A cold wet grey morning (bad omen I thought) and it rained pretty much all day!

Anyhoo. Got there and met the examiner (nice chap) and the test started. Failed within 10 minutes - brake pedal slightly catches the steering column - when I reassembled it I put the washer configuration in the wrong way around d'oh!

To cut a long story short there were 11 items - 7 minor, 1 slightly irritating and 3 slightly more worrying:

1 - None radiused handbrake handle (sleeve will sort)

2 - None radiused (only blunted) exhaust tail pipes (probably get some trims)

3 - Fog Light (fuse I think as it had worked the night before)

4 - A length of cable needs an extra cable tie (d'oh)

5 - No Evidence of suitability of RH fuel pipe (already been in touch with enforcer)

6 - Brake pedal fouling steering column (move a washer)

7 - Speedo stuck at 30 and 40 (smiths electronic, so it'll have to go back to Merlin)

8 - Front suspension - the top tube that clamps into the upright needs some sort of pin to stop it sliding out if the pinch bolt fails (he did say this is a new fail point as its only been pointed out recently - still a 8.8 5mm bolt through the bottom should fix that)

9 - Emissions - Lambda 1.173 (dont understand that because before the ECU failed it was 1.01 - still have spoken to Avon who supplied the replacement ecu)

10 - Fuel leaked out of the filler cap as the engine was reving during the emission test (may have over filled it as its never done that before - or else the breather configuration is wrong)

11 - Handbrake under performing (this is a pain, I've worked on it so much already, AND if the test went on the build weight rather than design weight it would pass)

Still I have to say there are a lot of positives -

Weight without driver (combined axle weights) 680kgs

she was fantastic to drive that far, :ph34r:

all the HGV lads that where there where biggin' her up, :wub:

the inspector said she was a good lucking car and one of the nicest he'd ever driven, :)

there was no major mechanical problems.... :D

and my home-made surrey kept us pretty dry :lol:

I now have till march 07 to sort that lot - but it shouldn't take that long - even for me :)

Thanks to all of you on here and for all all the help so far....

e

Well done E. Now you've got a list of things to do it'll be pretty easy.

2 - None radiused (only blunted) exhaust tail pipes (probably get some trims)
I'd be interested to know how you solve this one, the trim will have to be heat resistant.

8 - Front suspension - the top tube that clamps into the upright needs some sort of pin to stop it sliding out if the pinch bolt fails (he did say this is a new fail point as its only been pointed out recently - still a 8.8 5mm bolt through the bottom should fix that)
I'd like to see a picture if that's possible so I can do the same to mine.

Guest Ian & Carole

Ours failed on exhaust tail pipe ! :rolleyes:

We put a nice chrome pipe finisher from a motor factors, some weld a steel ring right at the end of the pipe.

Easy fix really.

We found the guys at Beverley really helpfull.

A nice "to do " list, well done.

Ian J

3 - Fog Light (fuse I think as it had worked the night before)

Check you have the correct type of relay fitted, fit the wrong type and it will work for a short period, and then fail again. A tell tale sign is that the relay is warm when the light hasn't been on.

Cheers guys - Fog light seems to be working ok now :)

Anyone got any thoughts on the handbrake issue?

The lever is taking up all the slack in the cable properly - it used to move 7 clicks and virtually no bit - now its 3 and I cant push the car. But its still not enough :(

Could the calipers be faulty (they were reconditioned ones) ?

Are there any good aftermarket alternatives for kit cars ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

e

Make sure everything is moving freely, (stating the obvious I know) and the pads are not sticking in the calipers. I assume the pads are new, if you take them out can you see if they are making full contact with the discs? put them back where they came from. I had a problem with my day car a year or so ago after new discs and pads were fitted before an MOT, which it failed, drove around a while with the handbrake on in short bursts to bed them in and after it was ok.

Peter.