Bike Carbs On A Pinto

Guest red7

just out of interest. what did you pay for your kit? i have a set of gsxr 750 carbs to go on my car.

nice looking car by the way. i'm thinking i might go mk indy next time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest robinperks

Did you have any problems with fueling? Did you use the original mechanical pump? did you need to install a pressure regulator? Another thing which i have noticed is how the carbs always seemed to be angled up is there a rule of thumb here? Ive recently got hold of some r1 carbs and a step by step installation guide would be (cheekly!) greatful!!

Thanks Rob

Guest cryoman

post-1200-1168979757_thumb.jpg

post-1200-1168979801.jpg

Hi Rob, this is one way to do it, by respacing the carbs.

These are actually gsxr carbs but work very well.

Yes you can use the standard pinto fuel pump and no pressure reg is required.

Carbs are angled so the carb bowls sit at the correct angle.(As they were on the bike.)

HTH

Edited by cryoman

Guest yellow peril

i see a couple of inventive hoodies have done this bike carb thing on a low budget, and would be interested in trying the same thing, i' unsure that if I do get some twin 40s webbers that I'll then spend an arm and a leg getting them set up, and dont you then have to have the dizzy modifyed among other things. Can u really do ibike carbs on the cheap or do you really have to know what ur doing, can u just find some bike carbs, knock up a manifold, wap em on and drive off, whats the catch. and choke size wise, 38, and 40 mm choke ones seem to go for more than, say 34mm for e.g on ebay, i presume as more kit car builders start buying them up, but will 34 mil ones still provide a good boost in power.

end of ramble, i thank u for listening. a couple of manufacturers at the last kit car show last yr where singing the praise of the ease of bike carbs on a pinto to give the old dog new life, whats the catch,,

Guest salty_monk

Just adding bike carbs is the same as adding webbers, just as much hassle just cheaper.

Has no effect on the dizzy, you still need to modify the advance curve.

Dan :)

Guest robinperks
Thats what i do!! :ph34r:

Nige

Thanks for your reply, and you said thats what you do, Are you selling these manifolds? if so how much for one? also is respacing carbs a bit of a pain or fairly straight forward? I read somewhere that the main jet size can just be drilled out to 1.7mm or is it best just to send the carbs away to get setup roughly and then take the car with the newly setup carbs and get a proper tweeking session!

Guest salty_monk

Peter - similarly with Webbers, it will only give you benefit over the stock EFI if you tune the engine.

A flowed head, lairy Cam etc will all work better with these, the stock EFI can't take it. You will do less MPG though but you could get up to 140 odd BHP as opposed to 110BHP on an EFI.

Throttle bodies & aftermarket EFI would be a step up again (as that could handle other mods), probably noticeable mainly in the MPG figure.

Dan :)

I think its been said before, but the DGAV is good for 150bhp with the right mods. The carbs or fuel injection are there to give the right amount of fuel at the right time. If you modify your engine then at some stage, sooner or later, your engine will demand more air and fuel than the carb you have on can give. This is when you need to replace the carb with the next performance upgrade, now its up to your budget/choice.

Personaly i would have gone Weber at the earliest opportunity because i like the look, the sound and being able to say "well of course i have twin 40's" however the engine i bought came with bike carbs and they look great, i can say "well of course i have quad mikunies" and until i have sussed out Megasquirt they will do nicely.

Guest peter2b2002

cheers guys, i'm still thinking of fitting a blower not a turbo as i have just forked out for a nice 4-2-1 ss exhaust so i want to leave that side alone

pete2b

Hi all,

I'm putting in a Zetec with bike carbs that have been rejetted etc. However I have not got any trumpets or air filters with the carbs. What have anoyone done in the past? At the moment I have nothing and have had a look around for some options and found nothing. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Gareth