Pinto 2l - Robin Hood Header Vs Other?

GambolGold

HI

2l pinto has a Robin Hood header and I am not completely convinced it has been designed with balance in mind unsure.gif . Does anyone know any better than this? Can anyone recomend any which definately bow down to the laws of fluid dymanics biggrin.gif ?

Mine has just cracked - I think partly due to chugging in traffic que's.

Nat

Guest timswait

Neither RH exhaust is particularly well designed, the headers don't even resemble equal lengths on the 4 into 1, and the bends constrict slightly. Hadn't heard of them cracking before though. :(

Guest chris brown
Neither RH exhaust is particularly well designed, the headers don't even resemble equal lengths on the 4 into 1, and the bends constrict slightly. Hadn't heard of them cracking before though. :(

As Tim says neither is good, most would say poor not only are there any two pipes the same length but the plate used for the bolts to the head is far too thin and warps, them blows. I have never been able to get a good seal for more than a few hundred miles.

I ordered one the other week, saw that there was far too much re-engineering of the steering column and alternator to warrant fitting it proper (after taking the cylunder head off to check it really wouldn't fit of course)

Ended up getting the RH twin pipe mated to a 2 into 1 and fit with the RH silencer. Only a weekend wasted stripping down and building back up, what with SVA retest looming next week, I didn't really want to start rebuilding all under the bonnet just to fit a 4 into 1

Simon

As Tim says neither is good, most would say poor not only are there any two pipes the same length but the plate used for the bolts to the head is far too thin and warps, them blows. I have never been able to get a good seal for more than a few hundred miles.

Thanks for your interest in this topic

This header runs 4 into 2 into 1 and then out through a hole in the body. It one cracked on three flanges: just the top on two and three, completely on four and number one remained ok.

The exhaust is held in two places: as it attaches to the exhaust ports anyway and again on rubber mounts on the body work back from the err, 'silencer' (ehem). So I imagine this unsupported mass over-stresses the flanges.

(The seals have been sound and perhaps this is because of the looseness due to the cracks)

I am tempted to take it to 'TubeTorque' - or the like - and get a quote for one made up, if the originals are quite poor, but thought I'd consider more inovative and economic solutions first.

Nat

Guest Petemate

This exhaust business aint easy. On the one I built, it seemed to go OK and up to when I sold it there were no obvious leaks or cracks. Agreed, the lengths are by no means equal. Getting a system made can be expensive, but I'm sure there are those among us who can advise companies with reasonable charges. Dave had a system made up for his bike-engines Dax, and that came out at a whopping £900 approx from Simpsons Racing Exhausts, but the pipe lengths were within 10mm. The original Dax system was not that brill - the primary pipes were 10 INCHES different 1 & 4. But I'm sure there are places one can get a system made much cheaper, the only problem being the close proximity of certain components in the Hood engine bay.

Best o luck.....

Pete

This exhaust business aint easy. On the one I built, it seemed to go OK and up to when I sold it there were no obvious leaks or cracks. Agreed, the lengths are by no means equal. Getting a system made can be expensive, but I'm sure there are those among us who can advise companies with reasonable charges. Dave had a system made up for his bike-engines Dax, and that came out at a whopping £900 approx from Simpsons Racing Exhausts, but the pipe lengths were within 10mm. The original Dax system was not that brill - the primary pipes were 10 INCHES different 1 & 4. But I'm sure there are places one can get a system made much cheaper, the only problem being the close proximity of certain components in the Hood engine bay.

Best o luck.....

Pete

Yes, I've just been on eBay and some of the headers for sale are not simple shapes to fit under the robinhood bonnet.

I will keep my eyes and ears open and let everyone here know what I opt for.

In the mean time my original tubes are being fixed. Then while it is off it is going to have heat-wrap applied.

Nat

Yes, I've just been on eBay and some of the headers for sale are not simple shapes to fit under the robinhood bonnet.

I will keep my eyes and ears open and let everyone here know what I opt for.

In the mean time my original tubes are being fixed. Then while it is off it is going to have heat-wrap applied.

Nat

Hi,

How good or bad is the origial Pinto manifold / header - adapted for the job?

Nat

I'm not convinced you are losing more than a couple of horses with unequal length headers as long as the bore is right and they are matched to the port. If you are building a restricted competition engine when every half horse counts then it may be worth spending 700 quid but not on a road /occasional trackday car.

Nigel.

I'm not convinced you are losing more than a couple of horses with unequal length headers as long as the bore is right and they are matched to the port. If you are building a restricted competition engine when every half horse counts then it may be worth spending 700 quid but not on a road /occasional trackday car.

Nigel.

Thanks, so it seems to be more of a refinement than a requirement.

I can turn my attention to perhaps fixing an additional mounting for the exhaust to try to stop it braking again.

Nat

Can I recommend Tony Law in Leeds. They only work in mild not stainless but their systems are designed to work rather than look pretty - Function over form.

Best part of it: Full custom made system for my CBR1000 powered kit (Not a popular bike engine fitment) came to less than £350-00!

Tanks

Duncan

Guest peter2b2002

I had my 4-2-1 made by www.exhaustsbydesign.co.uk, took him 2 days to make £350+vat very good job he made as well, i have posted a picture of it before,

pete2b