Winter Rebuild, Tidying Up My Engine And Engine Bay

Guest tom2b

I was never happy with my car after i built it as i did it to get it through the sva for the summer. Whilst my engine is in the workshop on a stand i have decided to tidy up the engine bay itself, the wiring is a mess and the chassis has started to rust in places. Good job my girlfriend loves these kind of jobs and has offered to start rubbing it down and repainting it for me! Do any of you have any pictures of your nice shiny engine bays i could use for inspiration?

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

I wasnt joking when i said the wiring was a mess!!!

DSCF0026.jpg

Lol well atleast you know the bulb works tim!

Pete i know its for driving hard, if you lived near me you would appreciate that im not shy with the right foot, i think Longboarder will vouch for that!

However i try to be a perfectionist and i dont want the bonnet to be hiding a messy engine bay i want to be able to park up at shows, take the bonnet off and be proud of the whole car B)

It's true. Lead right foot.

Still haven't got the alternator warning light to go out yet either!
I have wondered about that. I know I posted about it before. The principal is that you have ignition live volts one side of the ignition lamp and the alternator output voltage the other side of it. Both voltages should be around 13.5ish (batt slightly less, alt slightly more) so there should be no significant voltage/potential difference across the bulb when the engine is running so the lamp does not light. Somehow you have a PD across the bulb. Be interesting and useful to know which side is the highest. Test with voltmeter either side of lamp to earth with engine running. That should show you which side is too high or which side is too low, thus showing where the fault probably lies.

Nigel

I was never happy with my car after i built it as i did it to get it through the sva for the summer. Whilst my engine is in the workshop on a stand i have decided to tidy up the engine bay itself, the wiring is a mess and the chassis has started to rust in places. Good job my girlfriend loves these kind of jobs and has offered to start rubbing it down and repainting it for me! Do any of you have any pictures of your nice shiny engine bays i could use for inspiration?

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

I wasnt joking when i said the wiring was a mess!!!

DSCF0026.jpg

Here is mine :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Those engine bays look very nice, mmmm blackbird engine :)

My alternator light always used to be on but its because my alternator was gradually dying!

Nigel, you also have a lead right foot, remember the "chase" before i blew my thermostat housing!

I dont know what to paint my chassis tubes with, hammerite smooth black is an option but it chips easily.