Barkston Heath Dates 2007

Guest John Walton

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Walton

Stoneleigh is the place to go to every year for anyone with even the mildest interest in Kit Cars. It is possibly the biggest Kit Car show of the year and is held at the National Agricultural Showground at Stoneleigh in Warickshire.

What happens there?

Manny of the owners club camp there over the weekend, kick tyres, tell lies, drink beer, look at nice shiny bits to put on their pride and joy and also buy bits for their cars. A very good weekend that is a must for a Kit car owner.

Barkstone Heath.

There is a sprint track at RAF Barkston Heath in Lincolnshire.

A very good venue with excellent camping only a mile away.

RHOCAR book the track twice a year for a day of pushing themselves and their cars harder than most (not all) will attempt on a public road.

Their will be more beer, telling lies and kicking tyres once the day is done, at the camp site.

Though, I think this year it is intended to have a couple of beers and a BBQ on the Friday prior to the track day.

A very good weekend away and if you are a Barkston 'Virgin', you really do need to come down and have a go.

Hope that explains your query

• 2 weeks later...

John, I hope that you are just keeping this post current and there is not a problem filling the spaces. If anyone has not tried Barkstone in their Hood, ie newly completed cars, never done any track days or sprints, don't want to break it, etc I was in the same position two years ago and booked with some anxiety to see what the car and I could do. Who doesn't have the sneeking suspicion that they could have been a top driver if only they'd had the breaks?

Very low-key non-threatening day with no timing or pressure. Very difficult to make a fool of yourself as you go round doing single laps and well spaced out so little chance of getting close to another car and no pressure to go all out. My speed and confidence in the car grew as I covered more laps through the day. An event like this is a very safe place to explore the potential of the car and I soon realised that the car was able to go a whole lot faster than I could drive it. If you let the day unfold at its own pace and don't push your limits stupidly you would be hard pressed to do anything but have a load of fun and enjoyment testing yourself and the car in safety. The only downer is when you realise that your dreams of F1 glory :rolleyes: are just that and bringing up the rear in the local banger derby :unsure: is more realistic and probably more fun too! :D

Nigel