Project Ford Sidevalve!

Andy Spencer

OK here's the latest project! Its been in my neighbour's garage for years and off the road for 20, although he did have it on the road in the 80's! I've agreed to help to get it finished and on the road, hopefully in the summer.

Based on an old Ford pop 1172cc sidevalve. Engine is rebuilt, new loom almost done, rear axle rebuilt (now got to bolt on the torsion tube and fit), chassis has been powder coated and is excellent. 3 speed crash box. Cable rear drum brakes (scary fade apparently!).

Jobs to do:

Finish wiring

Get rear axle / torsion tube in

Fit engine / gearbox

Fit fuel tank

Sort brakes (twin master cyls fitted and pedal box in place) - needs some new hoses

Source dampers and fit

Rebuild and fit wiper mechanism

Source / fit some seats (might use my old original S7 ones which I still have!)

Fit lights, cycle wings, all ancillaries.

Take out all stainless bolts used to rebuild front suspension and fit hi tensile

Plus a few more no doubt!

Got the proper V5 (1960 kit!) and DVLA know its off the road so doesn't need an SVA - even got the letter from them to confirm. Its a 4 number then 2 letter reg which must be worth a few quid!

Anyone know anything about these cars or have any old bits at the back of the garage?

Aim is rolling chassis end Feb, running by April, MOT May / June and on the road for late summer.

Wish us luck....I think we're going to need it.

Andy

post-985-1170195044_thumb.jpg

post-985-1170195070_thumb.jpg

post-985-1170195085_thumb.jpg

post-985-1170195104_thumb.jpg

post-985-1170195181_thumb.jpg

post-985-1170195216_thumb.jpg

What great project that looks !! :blink: :)

My first car was the 1172 sidevalve Pop back in 1967.........I may be able to get the grey cells to recall a bit about it if you want to ask anything about mechanicals.

[ it had vaccuum wipers that ground to a standstill when you were pulling hard......remember those ? ] B)

The engine is an E93A is it a 10hp or a 8hp if its a10 you need to source an 8 hp head for more umph

Aquaplane used to a lot of go faster bits back in the 60`s must still be some around, water pumps were one of the things they used to do as they were never fitted with one, i used to get steamed out regularly in my Ashley back in the 60`s.

Dave

[ it had vaccuum wipers that ground to a standstill when you were pulling hard......remember those ? ] B)

Yeah - My uncle had a Ford Pop with those types of wipers in!

:( :( I suddenly feel very old now, so I'd better go and have a lie down.... :mellow:

Guest alan rowe

My first car was a 1949 Ford Prefect - the 4 door version of the "Pop" --- it had running boards and just about could get to 55mph (we'd cheer if we ever overtook anything)

Steering had loads of play and the indicators were those arms that stuck out the side behind the front doors and those wipers ....... - went bonkers when not under power and stopped when you put your foot down and no heater - it used to freeze on the inside (I used to drive with gloves, coat and scarf to keep warm)

Great memories

A

Guest erichetherington

My first car was one,about 1955 vintage I think.

Changed the engine just after I bought it then went off to do a production car trial.Timing way out had to be pushed every time it stopped,had to go to a garage that knew me to buy fuel because the owner would do it whilst it was ticking over(not sure he didn't fill cars with a Capstan full strength stuck between his lips!).

Got to the first hill all the modern stuff(Anglias,A40setc) failed we just sailed serenely to the top :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest Petemate

"[ it had vaccuum wipers that ground to a standstill when you were pulling hard......remember those ? ] "

Yes John - I also remember the (useless) "vacuum storage tank" we fitted as an accessory to the father-in-law's 100E Prefect.... made not an iota of difference!

Pete

I also had a 100E van fitted with the same 1172 sidevalve engine, but it had a vacuum driven overdrive unit, which was very useful on 2nd. The gap between 2nd & 3rd was huge, so it went from 1st, 2nd, 2nd overdrive, 3rd (non overdrive) then 3rd overdrive. I eventually fitted an aquaplane head, and some aftermarket carb (cant remember what) but I dont remember it doing very much, IIRC the head was just a flat plate anyway.

I love that body style, I wish I'd found one of them back in the sixties instead of a situp&beg, and then a Thames van.

Bob

That overdrive sounds a bit of a luxury Bob, mine was just the 3 speed box, and no synchro on first either . about 20mpg at best,

I took my test in it ( June 6th 1967 , how can you forget dates like that ) and the examiner tried to catch me out by asking me to slow to a crawl.....forcing a gear change down by double declutching into first.

But I was up to it alright. ! Even at 17 years old. B)

Passed first time of course, -_- ;) B)

John, so you should have passed first time after learning for nearly 9 months!! :p

Birthday 27 September 1949

I took my first test in the Thames van in June 67 after my dad "teaching" me for 3 months.

He forgot to teach me how to reverse!!! "You dont need that on the test"

So I failed first time round, but passed the followng month after some professional tuition......been getting worse every day since!!

Bob