Gearbox Fitting

Guest sparks

Guest sparks

Hi everyone.

Fitted gearbox last weekend, but when it came to fixing the gearbox mounting plate from the donor the mounting point on the gearbox is about a inch lower in the chassis so the mounting plate will not fit. (trying to explain it the best I can)

Its the little silver bit sticking down from the g/box thats to low

gbox27.jpg

This is when the mounting plate is attached and I have this gap so the additional bolts that go through the mounting plate will not be flush to the floor.

gbox25.jpg

gbox26.jpg

gbox23.jpg

Propshaft is in, bit of a tight fit.

propshaft22.jpg

propshaft21.jpg

Any body had this problem and how did you solve it? PLEASE!!!

Thanks

Sparks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

It looks to me as if the tail of the box needs to be lifted that inch also the prop shaft seems to be too far into the box as there should be some room for fore and aft movement (about an inch) certainly your prop shouldn’t be as close to the chassis (floor) as it looks in the photo.

Ditto,

you beat me to It Chris

Bottom pic says it all.

Have you checked where the gear stick will be in relation to the hole in the tunnel top, there must be some splined shaft showing to allow movement but too much and you'll be bashing your knuckles on the dash changing gear.

Les

Guest sparks

Hi all more pictures and another query later.

propshaft31.jpg

Gearbox resting on part of chassis but if I lift it up I am hoping that I will be able to fit the mounting plate.

propshaft2.jpg

Propshaft is a few inches off the floor. Is this enough?

propshaft1.jpg

Still trying to fing tunnel top panel but this is how the gearstick is at the moment

gbox3.jpg

The general opinion is that the propshaft is to tight, the engine is at its furthest most forward point on its mountings.

I have thought about extending the existing engine mount holes so that I can move the engine and gearbox forward and therefore in theory the propshaft will not be as far in the gearbox and will give me the extra room recommended.

I put this solution to 2 friends, one agreed it would be ok the disagreed, what do the rest of you think?

Or do I have to have a new propshaft made?

Guest peter2b2002

have you got the engine mounts ( the ally ones) the correct way arround? if you put them on the wrong way arround it will move the engine back

pete2b

Im sure the mounts are correct, (i hope so i put them on :sorry: ), still think moving it forward will help, where is the speedo cable hole i relation to the one in the chassi?

Mitch

have you removed the 2 webs off the gearbox as per the dvd (not sure where it fouls if you dont) and has the rear gearbox mount been shortened for the 5 speed box ?

the early chassis were definitly longer to accomodate a 4 speed

non of which possibly matters!

dave

Guest chris brown

It still looks to low, the box should be well clear of the chassis. Just been out with a ruler and the plate that holds the leaver in is 9cm from the top of the tunnel (well it would be if it didn’t have a quickshift mod) and the bottom edge of the large anti vibration lump on the leaver is exactly in line with the top of the tunnel.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris

Guest sparks

Well more pictures to follow.

At the moment nothing has been trimmed of the gearbox.

Looked at the engine mounts in Haynes and the more curved part of the mount goes to the rear of the car and as you can see this is, per my photo. So your in the clear Mitch.

eng1.jpg

The speedo cable connection however does look out of place.

gbox1.jpg

Another picture of position of gear stick. Then two of how the engine is currently position (car is on axle stands, the rear being higher than the front so the car is slopping from back to front)

gbox4.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng3.jpg

Cheers

Sparks

Mark

have just been and checked because i didnt think the engine mounts were the same as mine and they are different.

was your donor a cvh engine car and did you get a replacement pinto and use the cvh mounts?

Steve

Can't resist throwing in my two pennorth. In all your pictures the gearbox tail and propshaft are too low and the engine/gearbox are about 30mm too far back. First the engine needs to go forwards and then the back end of the box upwards.

The engine mounting arms look OK. It is perfectly OK to redrill or ovalize the two chassis holes for the engine mount rubbers so that you can get the engine forwards. Once you have done this and have about an inch of shiny propshaft showing at the back of the gearbox stick a jack under the box and lift it till the rear gearbox mount hits the floor. Then you can mark and drill the holes to bolt it up. The engine probably won't be level but leave that for later as it will depend on bonnet clearance at the top and ground clearance at the bottom when the car is on it's wheels. You won't know either for a month or three and it may well end up as a compromise 'roughly level' at the end of the build.

I can't see if you have shortened the sump for extra ground clearance but now is the time to do it if you haven't already. It should be cut and rewelded to be at the same level as the bottom of the bellhousing.

Nigel