Bearings

nicko

Hi all, over the last few week I've been finishing of my 2B. After having the car out on the drive and doing a few jobs (jacked up, on ramps, then a sneaky spin up the road) I found about half a dozen 5mm or 6mm ball bearings on the drive.

I don't know whether they've fallen of my car, were there before I started, I picked them up in in the tyre treads from the road, or if they have come from a tool or jack I was using.

Any ideas???

Nicko

:help:

Go round the car and see if there is any play in any of the wheel bearings (very unlikely these are from the wheels, but check anyway, it only takes a short time). I can't think of anywhere else on the car that uses balls that big. If any of your bearing races have disintegrated the corresponding wheel will be very loose (and wobbly) on the axle.

I know the half shafts usualy have a tripode inner CVJ but aren't there balls in the outer ones and of course in the inners with the bolt up shafts?

Nigel

Six balls would mean the joint had come apart completely and was flapping in the breeze. I think you would have noticed that so not the correct answer.

Hi all, the jack is a 2 tonne trolley jack, and it worked ok this evening. I've also had the car started, reversed onto the drive, then drove up the ramps again and all seams to work ok!!!!!

I'll be checking tomorrow if any more have appeared (when it's daylight).

Thanks for info and ideas.

Nicko