Winter Hibernation

Guest Rob Walters

Guest Rob Walters

All, after recently speaking to a few Hoodies it became apparent that the end of September was the cut off point for some Hoods going into hibernation until the spring. This dates ties up with the 6 months tax that people have purchased

Last year i did not get my car back on the road until september, so there was no question that I would not tax it through the winter and this year I felt the same.

Dispite being a litttle more chilly I still enjoy going out on a crisp day and bombing around in the hood. Athough when I walked into the area meeting in Feb it was fairly obvious that I was the only one that had turned up in a Hood due to the amount of extra clothing I had on.

I just wondered how many Hoods did hibernate ?

Rob

Been out today for a blast. It has to live outside in the rain and snow etc (aaahhh shame) so it might as well get driven. Best way to dry it out. Faffing with a cover is a waste of time. Mat, I feel a poll coming on along the lines of where does yours live and 6 or 12 months tax.

Nigel

Mine will be on the road this winter. I to am looking forward to bright crisp winter mornings.

Big Jim's still on the road, I know because he let me drive it last night, and boy anyone wanting more power, go VX 16v it the dog's wotnot's.

I should be on the road around christmas, I've ridden a bike for the last 20 years and it's only the last couple of years that I've had a car so the cold is somthing I'm used to, (must be getting old :o )

Mine is still going strong, and seeing how it's either that or the train to work every day, I can't see it going into hibernation. I'm not too worried about a roof - it doesn't rain that much along the Trent valley which is my daily communer route. When it does rain it usually doesn't last that long so I just go home late or whatever. Side screens are mid-production coz the wind is getting a tad chilly!

I'm more worried about mileage at the moment. From May 23rd I've got 12000 to play with. I've used over 4.5k so far, and the first month of my insurance was before I passed SVA, so I reckon I'm going to run out at some point in January. Oh well.

Another 100 or so miles to put on it tomorrow. Still enjoying every minute.

Ant

Be careful about overrunning your mileage limit.

Technically they could refuse to payout if you hit anything,

plus you risk prosecution for being uninsured.

Graham Sykes insisted on seeing my MOT cert. before renewing earlier this year, to check the mileage.

Cheers, Bob.

Rob, Been using mine for the daily run to work, though its not far. I would keep that up through the winter except I just got made redundant :( :(

I have no hood or sides and it can get a bit nippy, still , a cold blast is good for waking up the grey cells. Still grinning , even at 7.30 on a cold morn.

My other half takes her shoes off and warms her feet on the footwell. :o

Note to self........Must get the weather gear soon, as mine won't be hibernating. :(

Gissajob :D :D

Guest Tim Norman

I have never put Bob into hibernation in the nine years we have been together. There is nothing to beat the feeling of driving back from the monthly meeting in Mid January at midnight, perfectly still evening, apart from the 80mph wind in your ear, the warm waft from the engine bay over your feet, countered by the -15 degrees air temperature over the rest of your body (including the wind chill made it about -50 degrees). The clear sky above is only slightly obscured by the frost on your eybrows. Then having a traffic cop pull up along side at 70 and wave at you, you look at him half expecting a ticket He just laughs and shouts "You're f..king mad!!". Who says the Police don't have a sense of humour. Hibernation is for Bears and tortoises not Hoodies. :blink:

Buy a woolly hat, or a wolly hat if your names Ant. Practice your cadence braking and keep it up all year. :D

Bobsmate

Guest brummy-ade

saying about disconecting the speedo my old company car was a fiesta van personnal milage was charged to you per mile amazing that is as ive been to france many times and only done 20 miles all weekend ;) amazing that is gaffers fuel bill went thro the roof when 50 ish guys are doing the same trick :D :D .

Since leaving co they got trackers fitted to every car and van to stop it..

Dave, thanks, thats a good lead.

Hope you get sorted soon. I'm not in IT, glad to say, but the wrong side of 50.

Fancy that gap year I never had when I was young though , to spend more time Hooding about perhaps ? ( unless the dreaded ''list'' appears ). :o :o

Guest Rob Walters

Well we have had a lot of response from people who do keep their hoods on the road, not many willing to admit they are not up to the winter chills.

John P good to see you are keeping the hood on the road through winter, so that means we can go to the area meeting in Convoy Wed ?

Rob