Robin Hood S7

Guest aso_06

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, 'looks' like a sierra-based kit with the front suspension option. The more basic option was to use the entire sierra front crossmember.

But then again didn't that model have the tunnel top 'uptuned'?

Edited by geoff shep

Guest mikea

Looks to me like one of the "New Three" tubs from the RH sale 2 years ago. I bought a new three rolling chassis from that sale. Is there provision for outboard coilovers on the front (if in board then probably a series three)

Guest robinj66
Have you fitted your engine or are you in the process.Did yours have a pinto to start with or have you built it with v6.

Andy

I think mine originally had a pinto (1.6) fitted but by the time it came to me it had a 1.8 CVH simply lying in the engine compartment. herefore i decided to fit the V6 i had from a previous project. Engine is now in as is gearbox. just finishing refurb of the front end.

Guest aso_06
Looks to me like one of the "New Three" tubs from the RH sale 2 years ago. I bought a new three rolling chassis from that sale. Is there provision for outboard coilovers on the front (if in board then probably a series three)

Not sure, picking it up at end of month.

How have you found it getting parts, wishbones etc?

Im finding it quite hard to buy parts for it.

Will locost parts or parts from any other type fit?

Cheers

Guest aso_06
Yes, 'looks' like a sierra-based kit with the front suspension option. The more basic option was to use the entire sierra front crossmember.

But then again didn't that model have the tunnel top 'uptuned'?

Someone told me I can fit the complete back section (would be subframe?) straight of the sierra onto the hood?? Might need to add couple of plates but should go straight it?

Is this true??

Andy

As has been said I think this is a series 3 tub, not a S7. In the last picture I think I can spy the sierra bottom arm with the anti roll bar attached. The slight problem is that I have never seen one where the arb passes through the inside of the engine bay (I have owned both a S3 and S7 - Albeit the S3 was converted to tie bars) as they normally fit underneath.

Is it just the tub you have bought or does the fibreglass come with the car?

I don't know how experienced you are with cars, building kits or the facilities available to you, but if this is your first project it will not be simple (Or cheap for that matter).

Give it some careful consideration before investing a sh1tload of money into this, as the last thing you would want to be doing is trying to sell an incomplete car on Ebay 6 months later and £2-3k out of pocket!

Its your lucky day..............

I have a set of Series 3 build videos that i could copy for you, it will take me a week as they total 7 hrs and i need to dub them at lunch time, if you have a DVD player i could probably convert them to DVD.

Send me your address and i will post them on when ready.

When i watched them in the family room, all my kids and the missis would scatter leaving me in peace for the evening.

re the v12

its been done as far as i know by richard stewart .

but to say its a tight fit is an understatement!

there are some pictures on here somewhere .

regards graham

I have heard on good authority that the the engine was balanced on blocks and the tub assembled around it, no way that engine is coming out easily and when the clutch goes (assuming it's not an Auto) your stuffed.

Guest aso_06
Andy

As has been said I think this is a series 3 tub, not a S7. In the last picture I think I can spy the sierra bottom arm with the anti roll bar attached. The slight problem is that I have never seen one where the arb passes through the inside of the engine bay (I have owned both a S3 and S7 - Albeit the S3 was converted to tie bars) as they normally fit underneath.

Is it just the tub you have bought or does the fibreglass come with the car?

I don't know how experienced you are with cars, building kits or the facilities available to you, but if this is your first project it will not be simple (Or cheap for that matter).

Give it some careful consideration before investing a sh1tload of money into this, as the last thing you would want to be doing is trying to sell an incomplete car on Ebay 6 months later and £2-3k out of pocket!

How will I know if its and S7 or a series 3?

Its the chassis and the SS panels, its basically everything you can see in the pics.

The £2-3k, what is gonna cost so much, im planning on getting a complete donor car and taking everything from it (to save costs). If I did this will it still cost between £2-3k?

Thank you

Looks like a new three to me. The front wishbone is visible which goes through the side panel to the engine floor. Doesn't use the sierra rollbar. Welded on scuttle. Rollover bar has SVA crosspiece in for the seatbelts. All the same as mine which I built as SVA started.

The price you paid is fine but you only have the tub, rollover bar and front lower wishbones. I would think it is going to be more like £4000 even with a pinto. Lolocost will have many parts but you will have to get things like upper wishbones made.

Nigel

Just spent the last 30 minutes to type out a long reply, which has been perfectly summed up by Longboarder in 4 lines!

As another guide, along with a friend I took on an abandoned Series 7 (The kit was complete with all parts) and the total cost through to and including SVA was still just over £2k. This car was built to a good standard using many new parts, but used a standard 2.0 Pinto engine. I don’t doubt things could be done much cheaper, but as we both had prior experience of building/modifying cars we also knew what to spend where to maximise resale value (Car was built as a bit of fun in winter).

If you are determined, don’t be put off, but in my opinion this one should perhaps have been left to someone who needed to re-shell an accident damaged S3, not build from scratch.

Thanks

Duncan

Been thinking (It's OK, low risk. I have taken my tablets today) Have to agree with shandylegs. This is an expensive and difficult way to build a Hood and unless you have some kit car building experience you will struggle to find the right RH parts and even dimensions for all the bits you have to make. There are no plans for the top wishbones for instance. It will be a case of someone measuring theirs, drawing it, sending it to you and you finding someone close to you to fab them up. I would off load the tub to someone with a bent series 3.

Nigel

Guest aso_06

HELP!! IM REALLY CONFUSED NOW!!!

Don't know what to do, would it be best to get rid or to build it??

I know its not an over night build and that the price could get a little expensive, but it'll take me best part of 2 years+ to complete build and I wont have to spend all the money at once.

Im up for a bit of a challenge - but if its gonna be a constant up hill struggle ALL the way i'd rather forget it now.

What do you think????

Cheers