Dynamo!

Peter Bell

A friend has bought an A30 needing some work, he has got it running but can't get the dynamo to charge. (Yes a dynamo to all you youngsters) I seem to remember that sometimes they would loose their residual magnetisim after lying dormant and they had to be 'flashed' to get them going again (is this an allegory?) :huh: Anyway if any of the senior members can remember what to do can they advise me before I blow it up for him?

Thanks Peter

The dynamo should have two usable terminals on the end plate. D connected to one brush (matched on the other side of the shaft by a blind terminal that earths on the casing and is connected to the other brush) and F connected to the field coil.

With the dynamo on the car, remove the connections. The body is already earthed through its fixing bolts to the correct pole of the battery, assuming one is fitted in the car (may be positive or negative earth, A30 was pos earth I think) and take a flying lead from the live terminal of the battery to the F field coil terminal of the dynamo for five seconds. Done. Reconnect wires.

If still not charging have a look in the regulator box. These do fail, often due to dirty contacts. They can also be adjusted (got info somewhere in the system on this).

Nigel

(This next part should be read in rapid TV ad disclaimer stylee.)

All advice given in this post is given in good faith and with the best of intentions. Vehicle electrical systems are complicated and potentially dangerous. If in any doubts as to your own (or my) abilities and knowledge, you should hand over the repair to be undertaken to a qualified vehicle electrician with experience of this make and model (if you can find one). Nothing in this post is to be taken as guaranteeing a trouble free conversion or repair and any fires or explosions, howsoever caused and regardless of magnitude are your own responsibility. Further terms and conditions may apply if you give me time to think them up.

Hi Peter,

I have just been checking my Automotive bible and i have plenty of info for you regarding Lucas C series dynamoes, i do happen to have a reconned C45 that i refurbished as a lad he he , with all the proper stuff too as i worked for one of the leading electrical motor makers as an apprentice , i have also got lots of info on the Lucas voltage regulators , if you let me have the regulator number ie RF95 AND RB106-1 etc i can send you a copy of the relevant testing and setting info , as far i can remember the field coils are wound on a laminated soft iron core to prevent magnetic build up . usualy the comm is the biggest problem together with the brushes ofcause , Oh those A30s , i bought one for my sister to learn to drive in , it went really well until she wiped out the fence to a local scrap yard and yes i was the yelling co pilot , she backed out and we went home great little car , i may be able to help with more info on these just ask .

Bed time now

regards

Mike

Guest john

I still have a workshop manual somewhere for an A30, and I have a dynamo too. Both unused for about 35 years of course ! together with assorted 'A' Series parts from when I had Morris Minors .

Let me know if I can help . :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the replies I will pass the information on, I expect the manual would be very useful John, I have loaned him a general book on old Austins. I have the same problem John my wife dispairs at times, I am sure it will be used at some time :rolleyes: anyone need an austin 7 carb, or a broken vacuum cleaner?

Peter

peter

i know a guy who used to work for lucas in bedford that still does a lot of alternator, and injector work

i am sure he is old enough to have worked on dynamo's too (dont tell him i said so)

ring me and i will pass his number on

dave

Thanks for the help so far, just an update in case anyone is interested, he Steve, checked all wires for continuity, has flashed the field coil as Nigels instructions but still no joy, we measured an output from the dynamo of 3.5 volts at loads of revs so its not quite right yet. Then Steve says 'I have got a spare!' so that is going on tomorrow when he can get it off the old engine he has aquired, and no sign of a law suit aimed in Longboarders direction :rolleyes:

Peter