Anonying Noise

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

When I first built Bobson I had an irritating noise from the transmission, but only when not under load. In an attempt to lose it I have changed, the diff, the gearbox and engine and rammed enough grease in to every orifice the propshaft has got. I am beginning to suspect it may be a drive shaft. If you listen to the video you can hear the chatter, (from the transmission), when I change gear or start to back off. Any body got any clues as to what the hell it is or might be? It was abrand new prop and has done less than 1500 miles.

Video

when my prop was going it made a knock when you say you hear your noise, so would think its play in a joint when load is removed.

sorry may not help but could a prop make this noise?

Mitch

Guest allenr03

I have a rattling noise from my gearbox and apparently its the thrust bearing (MT75 gearbox). Its has been modified but still isn't deep enough so it rattles around when the clutch isn't depressed. Yours might be a similar issue?

The only other annoying noise I ever endured was solved by divorcing her :D

HTH

Rich

By the sound of it you have replaced most things but still not checked or replaced the drive shafts , as the joints can make a nasty noise on the overun but will go when power is applied , as i had this problem with LOBO joints a while ago , hope you get it sorted ,

Mike

Guest paul c
When I first built Bobson I had an irritating noise from the transmission, but only when not under load. In an attempt to lose it I have changed, the diff, the gearbox and engine and rammed enough grease in to every orifice the propshaft has got. I am beginning to suspect it may be a drive shaft. If you listen to the video you can hear the chatter, (from the transmission), when I change gear or start to back off. Any body got any clues as to what the hell it is or might be? It was abrand new prop and has done less than 1500 miles.

Video

Hi tim had similar problem some years ago on granada mk3 it was drive shafts pulled gaiters back pumped plenty graphite grease in,Had car jacked up rotating shafts as i put grease in it cured the fault

regads Paul c

Guest Tim Norman

That sounds like a cheap fix so I'll give that a go first.

Cheers for all the replies even the ones that nearly got my bits cut off. One final question though. If a quiz is quizical, what are tests?

Guest Tim Norman

The bad luck has returned. I got back in last night with no problems with the car. Went out tonight to try something the engine buider had suggested and it wouldn't start. All I get is a click from the starter and the battery is quite flat. So its on charge and if that doesn't cure it the starter is coming off. :cray:

So where did the volts and amps sneak off to? Did you leave something switched on or is there a fault, poor charge from alternator, duff battery or current leak. Best disconnect the earth lead while charging it overnight. Then you will have some battery power in the morning to investigate with.

Nigel

Guest Tim Norman

Battery wasn't that flat after all, in fact the trickel charger had it back to full power in 30 minutes. I suspect the starter motor was not disengaging which was creating an intermittent screech during tickover and possibly make the engine sound like it was hunting. I checked for air leaks and found none.

Guest chris brown
So where did the volts and amps sneak off to? Did you leave something switched on or is there a fault, poor charge from alternator, duff battery or current leak. Best disconnect the earth lead while charging it overnight. Then you will have some battery power in the morning to investigate with.

Nigel

Nigel Amps and Volts!!!! what are those? :lol:

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke

by Joseph Lucas

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. Don't be fooled by scientists and engineers talking about excited electrons and the like. Smoke is the key to all things electrical

We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a large copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions.

The logic is elementary and inescapable! The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring harness springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works right afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they regularly released large quantities of smoke from the electrical system.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch or Japanese counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks, and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tyres leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

Sometimes you may miss the component releasing the smoke that makes your electrical system function correctly, but if you sniff around you can often find the faulty component by the undeniable and telltale smoke smell. Sometimes this is a better indicator than standard electrical tests performed with a volt-ohm meter.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a clear and logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components and why they fail.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark." - Joseph Lucas, 1842-