New Engine - Duratec To Mt75?

Hi all

Well last time i started a post about engine mods it all got a little heated, so i'll try to keep this to a minimum.

Ok... the pinto has to go, I am looking for something that will get me too 0 - 60 quickly, not too bothered about top speed, but lots of torque would be nice. No more than £2K although prepared to do lots of work myself!!

Thought about the bike engine route, but i fear this is too expensive for the results.

Next thought was the Zetec, which is the cheaper option.

However as I only want to do this once i'm thinking of going down the Duratec route. Looking to get this in the next few weeks and spend some days/weeks over the winter fitting :D

Question 1 - I am being sensible choosing the duratec arn't I :huh: More expensive i'm sure than zetec but better power from standard.

Question 2 - I'm sure someone has already fitted one........... does it fit and is there lots of extra work that i might not of thought of

Last Question i think - The type 9 i presume is to weak for the hopefully 170bhp. So MT75 is the way forward? Although i seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a right hassle to fit.......but possible??

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Simon

hi simon

re the gearbox as said the type nine is good for approx 200 horses, but first gear is crap, you could fit a quaif gear set but this is very expensive.

my mate runs a competition g/box shop and has said that if i drop him in a type 9 he will strip it and have a longer first added to the box fully re condition the box for about £600 .

may be worth concideration.

regards graham

ps gearboxman.com

I don't think the duratec bolts onto either without a modified bellhousing, I think Ford finally changed the bolt pattern.

I doubt you'll do a Duratec for £2k. Bog standard power may be better but you'll never get the standard ECU to work so you'll need to sort that out. Remember that although very tunable (expensively) the duratec was designed with low emissions in mind. All this to me adds to a £3-4k project for a decent installation in a kit car when a zetec can be done well within your budget and will probably be nearly as good.

Andy

The Duratec is a great engine with loads of future potential subject to cash, it may be that Cosworth T5 gearbox is a better and cheaper option than a BGH type 9 or equivelant, certainly the T5 if it will fit ( adaptor plates and bell housings are available) has ideal ratios. If space is the issue and it has to be the Type 9 then there is a bell housing available but not cheap, also there is a 2.98 1st gear set for the type 9.

Burton performance have embraced the Duratec as the new Cosworth in their product list.

It may be a bit tall but if i had the money.....................

but you'll never get the standard ECU to work so you'll need to sort that out.

Good point, the ford ecu needs the dash, the keys, the locks, the abs, basically it is all linked so if you just have a bare engine you will need to get something like a MS`n`S, Megasquirt and spark thingy to run it so its an upgrade engine not a fit it for sva job.

However Burton Performance are extreemly helpfull and worth a call.

Originally a Mazda engine which is why the bellhousing bolt pattern is changed. MT75 with its integral bellhousing is going to cause problems so lots get a type nine bolted up and you change it when it breaks. Nice engine, bit tall and all the bits for it cost 50% more than similar zetec bits. If you are going to go all difficult and exotic there are better choices IMO.

Nigel

Guest robinj66

Cheaper option for that sort of power would be V6 Cologne (2.8/2.9) which bolts staaight on to a type 9 box. Alternatively, a Rover V8 but I assume that the gearbox would take a bit of alteration to fit. (Much better sound too :rolleyes: )

Cheaper option for that sort of power would be V6 Cologne (2.8/2.9) which bolts staaight on to a type 9 box.

Not exactly the V6 gearbox has a longer input shaft and the 2.8/9 needs the V6 type 9 bell housing which has a different bolt pattern to the Pinto/Zetec, so you cant just bung your V6 on to a type 9.

BHP is about 150 standard, 165 stage 1, and 200 at stage 3 with cam etc. 6000 rpm is your limit unless you stress releave and shot peen the rods.

The 24 valve Cosworth badged engine has 200 straight out of the box.

Morning All

Thanks for the replies, almost certainly going to go for the Zetec as the Duratec is probably not worth the ammount of cash difference to the zetec.

I did actual buy the 2.9 V6 cosworth engine to fit but when I got it near the car it looked like a lot of modification would have been needed!! It just looked too big, although i'm sure someone will now tell me it would have fitted, as i've only just sold it!!

Regarding the Zetec, i presume the 2.0 black top is the best one to go for?

Also say the budget was £2K and i already have the type 9 box. What spec would you expect i could achieve. Will I just be looking at a standard Zetec spec?

Thanks for the help

Simon

I would certainly go for the 2.0L blacktop. I would recommend getting a 1.8 flywheel from Retro Ford which will be drilled and doweled for a pinto clutch. This allows you to use pinto plate, pressure plate and release bearing which you already have and copes with the power. Don't forget to tap a pinto spigot bearing in the back of the crank. You will need to make your own engine mounts. Shortened sump from Retro ford again or you can shorten the steel bit of the blacktop sump or you can fit the sump off an 1800 CVH and shorten that. 1800 CVH also supplies the starter motor.

You need to decide how to get fuel/air into the engine which probably comes down to bike carbs or bike throttle bodies and Bogg bros manifold. If you go carbs you will need a cheap electric fuel pump (off a bike). If throttle bodies then you need low and high pressure fuel pumps and a swirl pot. (You can use the ford injection manifold and bits but its a struggle to find the space and it's single throttle body.

Four branch manifold. Finally an ECU to control sparks and if throttle bodies to control injection. Megasquirt Emerald Omex or whatever your local rolling road knows best.

You should get 170 bhp out of it for under £2000 and enjoy the build through the winter.

Nigel

(Under the heading of 'If I knew then what I know now!' Dave Colledge at Retro Ford offers Manifold, Jenvey throttlebodies, all linkages, trumpets, fuel rail and an emerald ECU for £1430 and that includes vat. I reckon that's a bargain.)