Winter Project - Call For Help From American Hoodies!

Guest Dan_Beeston

Bit down the page, What revs do you shift at with the 2.3

I normally shift at 3000, anything more just seems like a waste. There are times when getting on the highway in 3rd gear, that I'll run it to 4500 or thereabouts. I do like 75-80 at around 2900-3000 rpm.

And another

The autobox shifts at 3500.

Those autoboxes really thrash the nads off an engine.

(Or maybe the 2.3 revs as good as an old beetle)

Nigel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac
Sorry...guess that article mustve been quoting that the naturally aspirated (NA) heads were the same exhaust porting, not the turbo ones. In fact, i read a bit about the 2.3l NA guys doing the turbo conversion, and they appears to always take the entire engine and the tranny. Here are some threads on it, if you are interested (mustang II based):

http://www.mustangforums.com/archive/threa...-1640773-1.html

http://www.mustangforums.com/archive/forum272-1.html

Yep confirmed it:

True turbo heads have a different combustion chamber and port configuration than N/A heads along with exhaust valves made from a stronger metal known as Iconel.

Full thread on it:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2667288/mpa.../tm.htm#2667288

Guest ScotMac
Bit down the page, What revs do you shift at with the 2.3

And another

Those autoboxes really thrash the nads off an engine.

(Or maybe the 2.3 revs as good as an old beetle)

Nigel

Wow...that's some amazing rev'ing!!! Makes my fiero (4800 redline) look like an s2k.

Guest erichetherington

Right I think the problem is that I just scanned the articles and the files are just too big to attach. I'll try again in boring black and white as that should make them smaller I think. But if anyone as any other suggestions feel free to make them.

Eric

Guest salty_monk

Try sending them one at a time, unzipped.

Make sure they are saved as JPG or JPEG not Tiff or one of the other larger formats. You should be able to tell the scanning interface what output you want.

Also aim for about 200dpi max.

Dan :)

Guest Robin Allison

A bit of info for you.

Pinto's.

In the US the 2.3 is called the Lima.

The 2.3 SOHC US engine has no interchangable parts with the 2.0 Sohc UK engine.

The 2.3 Sohc is about 1 1/2" taller and 1 1/2" longer than the 2.0 Sohc.

The US did get the 2.0 Sohc. They are raced stockcars. Have a look here http://www.esslingeracing.com/

As for turbo charging the pinto. The Transit diesel manifold is too different. Turbo Technics built kits or the pinto, exhaust manifolds are cast steel and work well. There are others that made them also but not many.

Why not build your own manifold ? It not hard 12mm steel exhaust flange some piping and a turbo flange for a T2 or T3

A standard pinto will take about 12psi boost before its too much. Mine runns 9 psi and has 160bhp at the wheels.

manifold2.jpg

111.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

Or something like this

DSCF0002a.jpg

Guest Robin Allison
I thought it was him that said mild steel was no good, needed to be stainless or it would crack???

Dan :)

How many miles do you do? Thats what you need to base you choice on.

Stainless is the best to use. I have stainless pipe on to Mild steel flanges, correctly welded and its ok. But the mild steel can get stress cracks from the heat cycle.

Boost Performance said they could do a cast manifold for about £250

Guest Dan_Beeston
That's pretty different looking. Brit pinto has rectangular ports and the bolts are more vertical. Not to say the head can't be redrilled for different stud positions and the ports in manifold and head fettled to matching ovals if the tract spacing is close! Four inches between ports and an extra cam bearing support suggests the head is a good bit longer and as it's a 2.3 I would imagine the extra capacity is in wider bores making the bores centres wider apart too.

Nigel

Yep, never going to work.............

Manifold has now arrived in Blighty (Cheers Salty, top man!), but I can't see a way of fettling it to fit. Port spacing is wider, shape is different and position of studs means re-drilling the head is out even if I can sort the other problems :fool:

Plans are as follows:-

A) Fabricate custom manifold, a'la Robin, only probably much more Heath Robinson/Mad Max and nowhere near as shiny (you may have noticed my recent thread searching for flanges!......)

B) Cut 'n' Shut one of Joels cast pinto manifolds (If he even finds it under the piles of purple fibreglass, Injection Dizzys and Chauffer caps) with Turbo Flange off this one, or similar, and hope it holds together.........

C) Keep fingers crossed a TT or Janspeed manifold appears for sensible money

D) There a 2.3 Turbo Mustang being broken not too far from here B) ....................................

B) Cut 'n' Shut one of Joels cast pinto manifolds (If he even finds it under the piles of purple fibreglass, Injection Dizzys and Chauffer caps) with Turbo Flange off this one, or similar, and hope it holds together.........

:D Still looking Dan......keep your fingers crossed. :good:

Guest Robin Allison

I have the manifold from my RS2000 if you after one. Its a stainless pipe and mildsteel flanged one. It was one i did to see how long they would last.

Got cracked due to the exhaust hitting a curb hard. Fixed it a ran it at well lane with a T3 on a standard efi 2.0 pinto did 160bhp at the wheels .

The only downside is it needs to have the big bore exhaust gaskets fitting due to the port size, as i was going to fit it to a big port head but didn't.

£80 if you interested.