Winter Project - Call For Help From American Hoodies!

Guest Dan_Beeston

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dan_Beeston

That is very nice and shiney! :) I would like to be able to fabricate something like that, but I'm not sure my skillz (sic) are up to that.......... <_<

Robin, you have a PM............

in my rather limited exhaust building knowledge, i'm sure each of the headers needs to be exactly the same length from the head to the point where all the headers meet. thus ensuring no gas pressure remains in the manifold when the next cylinder fires creating back pressure that will reduce performance, so if that manifold is meant to give upwards of 600bhp i would assume they would have paid more attention to getting the header lengths perfect.

just to add my tuppence worth on this matter, when i was 18 i turbo charged my 106 diesel, i made a new manifold from a piece of machine steel from a plough (which took a long time to cut and drill!!) and used a length of tube for the manifold with short lengths of tube for the header pipes. a flange was fabricated for a garrett t15 turbo from a vectra tdi. oil came from a sandwich plate off the filter and the pressure side was routed through a toyota starlet intercooler. the 'mod' was very effective in giving more power and the economy even got better but the engine didn't last long, maybe about 3000 miles, so the next engine went in and all the maifolds went in the scrap but i do have a nice t15 turbo sat there for any future projects.

ste

Guest Dan_Beeston

I was reading a book the other day that was talking about header lengths, apparently the tuned length depends on engine speed, so if you are building an exhaust for max power you make all the headers exactly the right length for your max design torque engine speed. Unequal length headers however mean you can tune different cylinders to have a torque peak at slightly different revs, thus giving a flatter torque curve for better drivability at the expense of losing a bit of your max torque figure.

I don't think it matters so much with turbo engines though?.....