Please Help Before Making A New Purchase

Guest ROBIN2B

Guest ROBIN2B

Hello, first of all, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Ahmed from Morocco. I've read a couple of very interesting messages in this forum.

Aftert doing some research, I came up with the Robin Hood Kits and now I have 2 choices for my small budget, either a LightWeight or a Zero.

I kind of like the idea of the LightWeitht because of the weight difference, can any one clarify this point , what is the exact weight of the chassis frame and of the aluminum panels.

I also would like to know if these kits can accomodate a different axle and engine than the Ford Sierra , this car is not so popular to find in my country, can you suggest any other car that can be used as a donor car ?

Thank you very much

Ahmed

Guest 2b_pablo

zero is just the new lightweight isnt it?

as for the axle I think RH could supply donor parts for you as well. the zero doesnt use the rear axle so you wont need a load of parts.

Edited by 2b_pablo

Guest ScotMac

as for the axle I think RH could supply donor parts for you as well. the zero doesnt use the rear axle so you wont need a load of parts.

The zero doesn't use the sierra rear axles? What does it use?

Guest chris brown

No the Zero is a completely different car altogether it has a space frame chassis clad in non load bearing ally whereas the lightweight is a monocock ally tub. The only thing they have in common is they are both 7 type cars and have RH as the kit supplier

Guest ScotMac
No the Zero is a completely different car altogether it has a space frame chassis clad in non load bearing ally whereas the lightweight is a monocock ally tub. The only thing they have in common is they are both 7 type cars and have RH as the kit supplier

Chris, though you are obviously correct about one being a space frame and the other being a monocoque, i believe the zero was originally marketed as a replacement for the lightweight, *and* i believe they are using the body panels from the orig l/w for the zero. So, you get the benefits of what many have described as the best looking RH ever (yes, subjective! ;-) w/out the painfulness of dealing with the monocoque (which i kinda like, but is definitely more difficult w/ the stengthening).

-Scot :)

hi

the lightweight is a monococe ally construction .

the zero is a steel box section chassis and clad in ally

the lighjtweight is now not in production, due to some probs big probs.

i am not sure about the zero being the replaceme4nt for the lightweight

the zero uses the panals from, the lightweight and are not structural the zero appears to be a subsitute for the ligfhtweight Aand is prob better cos of the steel sub structure.

however the lightweight is as good as any of the kits avaiable in my opinion

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a year since this thread was raised and I thought I would breath a bit of life into it.

I'm half thinking about a 2nd project now my 2b is approaching SVA. Basically, I am going to spend serious time getting something just the way I want it now I have learn't that I know less than nothing with my first build :D

Basically, I am going to stick with a RH chassis almost exclusivly because of this forum and the help and camaradre of the members, not to mention they don't know when smokes being blown up their arses ;)

So, I have a Super, a LW or a Zero as options.

The way I see it, I have 2 fundemental decisions.

1. Comfort or crazy. i.e. SS or LW/Zero

2. If a LW or Zero, which one to go for.

Must say, the LW issues are a worry and the Zero looks sexy but is there a case for the LW over the Zero?

Cheers chaps.

As Graham said, the LW isnt an option unless you can find a second hand one.

RHSC dont make the kit any more.

The choice depends on how you intend to use it.

The SS will give a fast comfortable road car, suitable for fun type track days.

The Zero will still be fast, maybe not so comfortable on the road, but will be better suited to track day use with a higher power engine.

My advice would be to see how you like the 2B, & make your mind up after a few months of using it.

Also blag a ride if possible in a Zero or LW.

Bob

As Graham said, the LW isnt an option unless you can find a second hand one.

RHSC dont make the kit any more.

The choice depends on how you intend to use it.

The SS will give a fast comfortable road car, suitable for fun type track days.

The Zero will still be fast, maybe not so comfortable on the road, but will be better suited to track day use with a higher power engine.

My advice would be to see how you like the 2B, & make your mind up after a few months of using it.

Also blag a ride if possible in a Zero or LW.

Bob

Good thinking Bob :D

I'm certainly going to enjoy the 2b over the summer but the sliding pillar issue is really starting to bug me a bit and want to build something from scratch :)

I was considering a SH LW but think it may be very frustrating.

May try and borrow a Zero some time or pop up to GBSC and give one a blat.

However, I thinl prudence and the future ex-Mrs Knockies elbow may point me towards a SS (after the Grass, windows, painting, garden and a million over jobs over the Summer)

hi

i just had to reply .

if you can find a good partbuilt lightweight , it can be made ito a very good and unique car .but with lots of work .

another lightweight has very recently passed , again with issues but it depends on the tester .

re the strength issues mine has recenly spent 17 hours on thr rolling road ,to iron out the new engine issues , if you have ever seen a car being put through its paces on a r/r i think you will know it gets a beating .

zero is a great car appears easy to put together and looks the part .

bob nailed it earlier , it depends what you want out of it .

bear in mind the lightweight has no boot space , for bits and bobs , so if you cant get it on the boot or in the car it ant going .camping can be a bit of a sparce afair.

desions desions ?

i have a 2 b and have had before a pillar 2b . for a sunday blast i would take the lightweight .

however if i were to be going for we/end it would be the 2b .

confused i am now !

graham