Engine Technology

Andy Spencer

Just been reading about BMW's recently launched 2 litre diesel range. They have just released the dual turbo version (one small and one large for ultimate rev range performance). 204 bhp and 400 Nm torque. Wasn't long ago you did well to get that bhp from a 3 litre petrol. And 55mpg from the diesel too.

Will we be able to get much more out of engines? Amazing.

Wonder if we can get an aftermarket ECU to run one and shoehorn it into the Hood!

Guest manglemender

Ever since I had my first diesel Golf I've been wondering how long it would be before someone built a diesel Sports car. I had the 150BHP Mk4 Diesel Golf for a while, the amount of torque right through the rev range is phenominal! I also had a Passat 4Motion Sport, that went round corners like it was on rails.

What do people think? Could it be done? What problems would need to be overcome?

ECU

Chassis stiffness

Exhaust system

What Else?

Nick

What problems would need to be overcome?

...Me laughing at you! :p

Seriously, my parents have got a diesel Golf (current '07 model), and whilst the performance and economy is hugely impressive, it's still a deeply horrible thing. It still sounds like a tractor when you fire it up, and at motorway speeds there's this low frequency rumble that seems to resonate around the cabin at just the right pitch to give me internal bleeding! It's beyond irritating, it's frankly unpleasant! :bad:

Long live internal combustion :clapping:

Guest Dan_Beeston

You go Joel! :p

I think the drivability of Diesels is still their biggest failing, the do pull very well throughout the rev range, they just don't have the rev range, which means you end up having to row them along with the gears a bit. I used to have a Mk1 MR2 that revved to 8k, on 1980's technology, after 120,000 miles.........

The weight of the components needed to stand the shock loading (diesel doesn't burn with a smooth flame front, but explodes violently) not only limits the max engine speed but also the responsiveness (akin to increasing the weight of the flywheel on your petrol car)

Diesel is moving on massively (although they're only just getting to grips with the evil emissions, which is killing the fuel economy with CAT's & DPF's and the like) but don't forget Petrol engine development isn't exactly standing still (anyone for a Veyron? :) )

Can anyone tell I'm bored at work?........

i was actually thinking about using a v8 turbo diesel in a 7 and running it on veg oil so i could have a v8 without the cost... but then i started listening to the diesels around town and even the best still sound like tractors and ive seen so many belch black smoke (even new cars) not really the look i was after. My brother had a Golf sport (hahahaha) diesel as a courtesy car and it red lined at 4.5 -5 :huh:

I think diesels are amazing though being able to run on almost any fuel oil. although i do remember reading that diesels produce one of the most carcinogenic compounds we know of (albiet in tiny quantities)....hold your breath behind buses!

I still find it interesting that the new hybrids arent using diesel/electric i can only assume that the american market demands petrol. I would have thought that a small diesel would be amazing with an electric motor setup if you can get 65mpg out of a prius on petrol.

one last thought, if we are talking about future technologies try this one http://www.theaircar.com/

Guest salty_monk

Biggest market for hybrids is in California.... most diesels can't pass the emissions test here, you don't see any that aren't commercial.

Hybrids are a load of tosh... Think about all the pollutants created making those batteries? Where do batteries go to die??

The greenest thing is to run an old car, by far the most pollution a vehicle ever creates is at point of manufacture...

Dan :)

I"ve had a few diesel, nose heavy, dont handle to well, and no matter how new the are you always no you driving a diesel, ( hav"nt drove the new beemer diesel yet ? ) but times are a changeing

in an article i read the other day in the times it said that 75% of all landrovers made are still on the road !!!! it also pointed out that all those people running around shouting at 4x4 owners are slightly misguided due to the tiny amount of 4x4 vehicles on the road and the fact there are plenty of cars (jags, bmws etc) that are equally inefficient and there are more of them.

Sorry to deviate slightly off topic but i think that the whole CO2 thing is crap and is just a huge tax con by the government. Sure we have to try and minimise waste and pollution, which as mentioned wont be helped producing batteries for hybrids. dont get me started on hydrogen..... rant over :)

Guest 2b_pablo

Ive an A4 tdi and the missus has a golf tdi. great for family runs / commuting but never going to set the world alight.

I wouldnt dream of putting one near a 7 tho!

I used to have a 330d beemer (204bhp but 3 litre) straight six and it sounded great in the car and quiet outside when warm, but a bit rattly when cold. Very fast and superb grunt but poor rev range as all diesels have.

Still don't really like 4 cylinder diesels, they aren't refined.

Now drive a 210bhp Saab Aero convertible petrol and it doesn't feel as quick, even though it is. And only 32mpg average so far!