Max Rpm For Pinto

agent_zed

Hi

i was reading another thread about pintos and someone said that the injection engine rods are good for 7000rpm is this just the injection engine or do other pintos share these rods. I have a 1.6 pinto with a 205 block (i think i remember seeing that on the side anyway) which is the later engine with the longer stroke and an unleaded head. Is this likely to take higher rev's than the older 1.6 or is there little diffference?

On a side note if i added bike carbs what kind of bhp am i realistically likely to get? or would i need a new cam as well. I just want a little more power, 100bhp would be fine. I dont want to change the engine as it is part of the car now :rolleyes: but what can be easily achieved at a low cost on the 1.6.

Your thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Guest fozzy2007

i was told your oil pressure reflects how high you can rev i.e 55psi (my average oil pressure) = 5500 rpm. 10psi per 1000rpm

dont know if its true but i stick to it. if anybody know for certain i would be happy to know.

Rob

You should not have 205 stamped on the side of your 1600 engine as the block is stamped 205 only for the 2.0L block, if you have 205 on the side of the engine then you already have a 2.0L engine

The injection rods are only found on the injection engine and are OK to 7200 on occations, the earlier rods in the 205 block non injection are safe to 6800 and the standard old rods only go to 6500, your 1600 engine should only really go to 6500.

Whilst oil pressure should be strong it will not make the engine any safer reving to higher revs but it will help the bearing life.

What gives up first on the Pinto is the small ends of the rods snapping at the neck. 2.0L rods do not go in a 1600.

Long stroke engines rev less freely than short stroke but usually produce better torque.

If you have a 205 block then you already should have 100bhp, if not and you have a 1600 then the easiest power upgrade is to source and fit a later injection engine and add carbs, put a better cam in it and you will have a very easy 130bhp possably close to 150 if set up right.

Now if you truly do have a 1600 and you want to keep it then these mods are the easiest and cheapest to do.

Ducted cold air feed to the carb is the single easiest way to add some bhp for the price of a bit of trunking

The cam from a standard 2.0l will fit straight in and is higher lift and duration than the 1600 cam.

Setting up the cam, the spark and the fuel will give you a bit more but anything after this and you need to go 2.0L

Further on the oil pressure a high pressure high flow pump delivers 65psi cold and around 40psi stinking hot and that is fine for very high revs, just as important is to have the oil in good condition and within its designed operating temperature range, so if you are building a high reving engine then an oil cooler will be needed with a thermostat as to cold sapps power.

Looking at the available cams, most produce their max power by 6500 to 7000 so well within the rods safety range, if you want to rev past this then the really lumpy cams produce nothing much before 3000, not much fun on the road.

cool thanks for the info. I must have been dreaming about the block having 205 on the side but i'll have a check anyway. I dont really drive very hard so im unlikely to ever get into the red so iam not too worried about high revs just wondered as i knew the later 1.6 was different to the earlier one.

Can i really just swap the cam for a 2L cam ? is it that simple. Ive already got a big open air filter so it should breathe ok. If i changed to some bike carbs/ bigger carb whats the chances of making 100bhp? or is an extra 25 bhp a bit too much to expect.

Guest fozzy2007

i dont know whether or not you can swap the cam, but we put a new cam in our engine. I bought the cam, then took the old one out of the engine, then found the bearings for the cam were worn, so took them out, then found the new bearings would not go in nice and tidy for me, then took the head off to get them proffesionally fitted and then found the head needed to be skimmed. Its been like this on my whole rebuild so beware, if you are thinking about things like this then be ready for a shock. I hope it all goes well and i may just have had all the bad luck.

Regards

Rob

The 2l cam is a straight swop for the 1600 and will give a bit more performance, as previously said the easiest increase is just to put the 2l engine in. The old 2l block just had 20 cast on the side, and the 1.6 had 16, I think? I love the oil pressure /revs story I wonder who made that up? According to that an Austin 7 should only go to about 1000 revs as they show no oil pressure until a lube jet gets blocked, thats when you are in trouble and it will destroy the bearings!

had a look and i have 165 on the side, i must have looked at the 2l in my dads transit and got confused with the 205. Think i'll start with the carbs first and go from there, fingers crossed wont find too many problems when i come to changing cams etc but it is an old engine i guess. Maybe have to wait til i have more time

Thanks for the help

Guest timswait
I have a 1.6 pinto with a 205 block (i think i remember seeing that on the side anyway)

It ought to have 165 stamped on the side then B)

i was told your oil pressure reflects how high you can rev i.e 55psi (my average oil pressure) = 5500 rpm. 10psi per 1000rpm

That sounds complete tosh. How high and engine will rev depends on the strength and weight of the internal components. Too much speed and the are no longer strong enough to support the weight due to inertia and they cease to be internal! Good oil pressure might make the engine last longer if you rev it hard all the time, less wear on bearings, but excessive oil pressure is most likely a blocked jet rather than a really good engine!

Guest fozzy2007
It ought to have 165 stamped on the side then B)

That sounds complete tosh. How high and engine will rev depends on the strength and weight of the internal components. Too much speed and the are no longer strong enough to support the weight due to inertia and they cease to be internal! Good oil pressure might make the engine last longer if you rev it hard all the time, less wear on bearings, but excessive oil pressure is most likely a blocked jet rather than a really good engine!

I dont know whether it's "TOSH" or not. i know i have reved higher than my pressure and i didnt get a face full of piston and oil so you may be right. i will still use it as a general guide tho because, as you say, it may reduce engine wear and tear.