C20xe Head Mod

st3v3nw

Does anyone have the details of the head mod for the vauxhall c20xe?

As some of you will know, it lost a lot of oil at Stoneleigh dues to the cover plate over where the dizzy used to come out the head dropping its seal and letting go of most of the oil.

I remember someone telling me of a mod to redirect the oil or de pressurise it in the head to help stop this occurring.

I have tried a search but can't find any threads on here about it.

cheers

ste

You can buy a kit, probably from SBD or similar (can't remember where I got mine from) this gives you the large ally "plug" to fill the hole where the dizzy once fitted, also a small ball-bearing that you're supposed to knock into the oilway of the camshaft to block it, stopping oil from coming out of the end.

Being a bit of a pessimist, not believing that friction and fresh air can hold this all in place, I tapped the end of the cam oilway (I think 10mm, but you'll have to check) knocked the ball-bearing in, then screwed a grubscrew in to hold it.

I also made a fairly thin plate just to go over the outer "plug" to make sure that stays in too. It's been fine ever since!

post-51-1210603679_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the links and pics,

I'm going to try and make a plug on the lathe once i get the contactor switch working again

Had a look through sbd's site and couldn't see anything they sell to do the job. Thing is, i only have 5mm to play with at the rear of the head as the header tank is there.

Going to do the breather mod asap then see how soon i can make a blank plug. There is one on ebay but that is a plate, the same as i made but this won't work!!

Steve

your other option is to get an exhaust camshaft from a later dis-pack redtop - these are shorter, same as the inlet cam and not drilled thru at the end.

for mine i cut down the original dizzy and spindle so all i had left was the flange, the stub from the drive spindle, the hole in the flange was filled with chemical metal.

Steve

The problem being is that i have scrapped the old dizzy after i made the cover plate thinking that would suffice.

I'll have a hunt around for the kits jim was on about as i am happy with the cams i have now as they show no wear and look like new.

cheers

edit: SBD want £25 for blanking plug, 60p for seal and 60p for cam oilway bung.

They do a part ex on your old dizzy so gutted i haven't got mine any more :(

Guest Mike-16
Does anyone have the details of the head mod for the vauxhall c20xe?

As some of you will know, it lost a lot of oil at Stoneleigh dues to the cover plate over where the dizzy used to come out the head dropping its seal and letting go of most of the oil.

I remember someone telling me of a mod to redirect the oil or de pressurise it in the head to help stop this occurring.

I have tried a search but can't find any threads on here about it.

cheers

ste

I got mine from QED large alloy disk with rubber O ring and ball bearing to welly in the end of inlet cam.

Mike :rolleyes: