Warning - 2b Suspension Failure

Grizzly

Hi All,

Three hours to get home tonight, courtesy of the Breakdown Truck. In all my years of motoring, the first time I've ever had to use one. :sorry:

Now I know that some people (oh that includes me) have had issues with 2B lower ball joint failure. Normally, this is as a result of the nut parting company with the stud which then dros through the stub axle. The fix is to drill and split pin to make it all secure - which I've done.

Take a look at this though:

I haven't taken it all apart yet but it looks like the ball joint has completely failed/sheared :shok: :shok:.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

I gather these are transit ball joints. Can anyone give me any advice please on a part number and also, can anyone remind me about the special (Peugeot?) tool I need to get at them. I'm sure you can imagine I'm a bit ticked off right now and the only consolation is that I'm OK and wasn't going too quick when it happened.

post-1241-1220904365_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry

I thought that the failure modes for this ball joint were either

As you stated the nut coming undone and the taper pin dropping out of the swivel hub.

or

The whole joint rotating in the thread in the lower wishbone

I believe that the joint is a Peugeot / Citroen item shared between the 406 and the BX.

I have got a pic of the tool - I'll try and find it and post later.

This failure seems a new one to me - I'm glad you walked away from it

Cheers,

Terry

Grizzly, is the failed ball-joint as supplied with the bottom wish-bone or a replacement after a previous failure? looks like your present failure was running dry & wore it's way thru the cup, use to be a Mini problem back in my youth (40+ years ago)

Guest old_timbo

Nasty! How many miles had it done? When I changed my wishbones (bent) I found the original ball joints unscrewed by hand, so I doubt you will have much trouble getting them out with a C spanner. I've pinned them in the new wishbones. When I set them up I was very carefull to make sure that the shocks limited the wishbone movement rather than running out of movement on the ball joints (made a trial assembly with no springs on the shocks). Might be the cause of your problem? However looks like the shock is in the right place, and I found the top ball joint was the main limiting factor.

Tim

... the car has done 10,000 miles.

I bought this as a part built, so I can't say if the ball joints were new or second hand.

There was plenty of grease in there so, it's not as if it was running dry.

I've tried to get the housing part out with a drift, but it seems pretty solid.

Thanks for the part no's. I'll be off to the motor factors tomorrow.

Mrs Grizzly is quite concerned and wants to be sure that this can be fixed and that it'll be safe.

Hi Lee,

Sorry, yet again I'll be missing the club night. Think I'll be in the garage. :huh:

Hoping to make Stafford though at the weekend. B)

Good question Guy. I must say, I've never been happy about this configuration, but there's little that can be done to beef this up is there? If indeed it's as you say, then we're all in a bit of a delicate situation here aren't we? When you look and imaginge the forces at play here, this little ball joint just doesn't stand up much does it? I would much rather see the wishbone joint on top of the stub axle mounting, rather than hanging from underneathe it eh?

Hi Grizz

could have been a nasty one!!! Glad your OK

I have the socket in the garage to remove the bottom ball joint's and i might have a spare set, without nut's as i used them to replace mine after your last little issue

give me a call or drop me a PM if you want me to post it down

cheers

C

Thanks for the offer Chris, but I've just rang my local Autofactors and they have them in stock (the socket too).

I'll do both sides and it should be circa £20 all in. You can hang onto yours just in case then eh?

Being as I bought this as a rolling chassis, does anyone know if the wishbones were/are supplied with the ball joints fitted?

Futhermore, does anyone know if the ball joints were new or second hand items?