New Tin Top

Guest craig cowley

Guest craig cowley

iam thinking of getting a jag X class and was wondering if any one on here has any experience of them and suggestions which is the best model/engine/spec to get i quite like the look of the 2.0 diesel se model any info greatly received

iam thinking of getting a jag X class and was wondering if any one on here has any experience of them and suggestions which is the best model/engine/spec to get i quite like the look of the 2.0 diesel se model any info greatly received

Yes, avoid the early 2.0 V6 petrol - they're very thirsty.

i discussed these with a friend of mine who has one. asked him what it was like etc.

he bought his X type a couple of years ago and its been a good reliable car. the only problem is that he said he'd always wanted a jag, and in a way he still does, because the x type doesnt feel like a real jag to him. his boss has an s type, and he tells me that theres a big difference and that the s type feels like he expected a real jag to feel.

depends what you want. if its a jag you've always wanted then his experience would suggest otherwise. (and you'll have to ut up with people smugly telling you its a mondeo engine underneath all the badges)

if you're after a good exec car, on a par with a mondeo then at the right price they seem a good buy.

Guest craig cowley

cheers for all the comments interesting what you say about x class verses s class unfortunately cant stand s class grill!!!! interior wise iam stepping up from a Renault scenic so anythings an improvement need to do more research on running costs did not know they used mondeo mechanics but i see this as an advantage farther had 6 jags/Daimler's in total from xk120 up to square headlight first of the new shape so they do invoke a lot of childhood memory's :wub:

need to keep looking but for the amount of car you get they seem to be going very cheap at the moment.

Hi Craig.

A few years ago we hired an X type for a day for a long trip.

It was noisy, gutless, and from inside there is little to make you feel its a Jag.

Just a badged Mondeo in my opinion.

Also took a ride in a S type. Almost as bad.

Thats what Ford did to a decent car name.

I've now got three proper Jaguars and recommend that if you want good motoring value for money try an XJS or XJ6/ XJ40/ X300 from the early 90's.

Galvanised bodies, all the gizmos, 25mpg on a run from the AJ6 engine, and plenty of spares around.

From as low as £1k you will get a fair runner, and £5k will get you a low mileage well maintained ex-vicarage type specimen. Anything up to 70k miles should still have plenty of life left in for using as a daily runaround.

The JEC has a good magazine and website where you will find honest cars for sale from caring members.

Or you could just have a Mondeo of course.......even cheaper than an XType for the same thing.

If fuel economy is important.........my new focus diesel does 62mpg.

Guest Jonny Norn Iron

Craig .. I've got an x-type 2.5 petrol. Go for leather. Spec is ok and lively v6 with ok fuel economy

(about 30 mpg). Also great stereo.

I've also had an s-type (3.0 v6) - much more Jaguar-y. Great engine and I think might be even better on fuel. Don't worry about the grill - you can't see it when you are driving, and you can always approach it from the rear :D

Best of lot is probably xj6 (newer one with v6).

Or you could go for an older xj ..... and spend your life at the side of many roads ;)

Guest craig030774

i have an x type 2.0 d sport estate and love it cream half leather yes i know it has mondeo underpinnings but think about it £ 30 for a set of pads and disks try getting them for an a4 etc.

only prob i had was water pump gave up the ghost no warnings at 75k

lovely to drive quite nippy 130bhp decent mpg good sound system plus it has a jag key ring :D

Try and get a warranty - weak points are injectors (Delphi and costly to recode / replace), turbos and dual mass flywheels. They are a nice car and as you say a good interior will make it feel much more like a Jag.

Must admit having had beemers etc in the past, I'm seriously impressed with our latest family hack which is an 04 Mondeo Ghia X TDCI with leather and all the toys for very little money. I'm sure the Jag will be similarly impressive.

Whether its a Mondeo or a Jag X type its a lot of car for the money, even at todays depressed prices.

Andy

Guest sadjagboy

The X type is an ok car, but it does not feel like a Jaguar, its not the best in class, but there are some good deals around. 3.0 and 2.5 have 4 wheel drive and both really use about the same amount of fuel in the real world, the diesels are probably the best options. I would look at Mercedes and BMWs too, but I would also look at an Alfa 159 (which would be my choice). I no longer get invited to Jaguar Driving Events by Jaguar, after I told them what I though of the S type, they didn't like it when I told them the Alfa 166 was a vastly superior car as it was quieter, more comfortable and faster and the leather was better quality. The electrics are mostly Germany in the new Afla's so there shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that I've spent more maintaining my current every day car, a VW Passat, than any other car I have owned, a list that includes 8 Jaguars, 2 Alfas and a Lancia!