Stupid Vicki Green Piece Of Cr@p Loom

st3v3nw

I really really wish I never used the vivki green loom. it really is a load of rubbish. The diagram has had me so wound up over the years at it's complete uselessness.

I am an aircraft electrician by trade so wiring is my speciality, but i decided on the VG due to it's promises of a fast solution to wiring the car.

Well, it all works, but just found out the other day that if i leave the lights on and turn off the ignition, the engine stays running and i still have all electrics. I assume it is the relay for the lights staying latched but as the diagram shows fook all about where any wires go I'm hoping one of you has had this problem and know a quick fix. I don't have the time for fault finding due to my impending sva and the huge list of jobs still to do.

Cheers fellas

I know it's a bit late in this case, but single best thing I did was to completely unwrap the loom so I knew which wires went where and therefore didn't have to rely on the awful diagram supplied.

I really really wish I never used the vivki green loom. it really is a load of rubbish. The diagram has had me so wound up over the years at it's complete uselessness.

I am an aircraft electrician by trade so wiring is my speciality, but i decided on the VG due to it's promises of a fast solution to wiring the car.

Well, it all works, but just found out the other day that if i leave the lights on and turn off the ignition, the engine stays running and i still have all electrics. I assume it is the relay for the lights staying latched but as the diagram shows fook all about where any wires go I'm hoping one of you has had this problem and know a quick fix. I don't have the time for fault finding due to my impending sva and the huge list of jobs still to do.

Cheers fellas

Guest yokel

I was lucky enough to have the auto electrician at work design my loom, and a computer engineer built it! total cost including all switches and wire, terminals etc, less than £180. no contest for my build as I know sod all about elastictrickery!

Tony

If you can narrow down the circumstances you may find the fault. Does ignition go live with side, main and dip beams on, some/all? You have relays for dip and main beam. How have you fed the switched supply 30 (presume constant live) and switching supply? Does it still happen if you pull fuses? which ones kill it? if you pull the 87 leads off the relays does that stop it?

Does it happen only if the engine is running? With the engine stopped, ignition off and lights on are you getting battery voltage in the switched live circuits? If not then running on with VG loom has been mentioned before in relation to backfeeding from alternator or electric fan.

These are the sort of questions which may help you localise the fault which is not one I have heard before in relation to lights. Also I don't think SVA would notice or consider it a fail. I would leave it a low priority if you are pushed for time pre SVA and can't find the fault. Just make sure you switch the lights off if you need to switch off the engine.

Nigel

Longboarder, I'm going to have a stab at it this weekend. I went in the garage before work but only had 5 mins til i had to leave. I work nights so i'm in work now (19.34)

From what i can gather from the very limited test i just done was that if i turn ignition off (engine running or not) with the lights on then the ignition doesn't turn off. For SVA I'll make sure lights are turned off as soon as they are tested!!

I'll do more fault finding if i get time as i had my build photos sent back from VOSA with a note saying they have passed on all my details to Chadderton testing station and to expect a call to arrange a test date.

My car is going into the local college motor engineering dept on wednesday to have the tracking done, lights aligned and carbs tuned for emmisions test. so i don't want the loom in bits really.

I was hoping there was a simple answer, but once it is SVA'd I'll have a proper stab at it.

SPG, I am an ex avionics technician for the RAF, I worked on Jaguar, Harrier and Nimrod. I now work for BAe Systems in Warton on Typhoon Final assembly. I wire up the avioncs bays and make off end connections. Then do Full systems continuity testing and earth leakage checks.