Replacing Lost Vacuum

Joel

I've just switched to twin carbs, and have therefore lost the capability to have vacuum assisted brakes! :o

I know some people prefer it this way, but just maneuvering the car very slowly around the drive tells me that I won't get on with it.

So, to replace the vacuum somehow, or to fit bigger brakes - that is the question?

I'm quite interested in something like this electric vacuum kit:

ssbc_electric_vacuum_pump_28146.jpg

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/69A3151A0A0.aspx

But I can't find anything like it from a UK supplier (and preferably a bit cheaper! :rolleyes:)

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Joel

Dont know if it will be any use as I know most people are stuck for space as it is, but some diesel alternators come with a vacuum pump

like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-400-Diesel-Alt...1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Astra-diesel-Alterna...1QQcmdZViewItem

Dont know much about them but with a bit research could be a cheap option

Steve

Hi Joel, if you are fitting webers then some manifolds have a tapping on one branch for a servo. If it doesn't have one can you not tap a hole? cheap and simple option.

I do have a tapping on the manifold, but the Boy Wonder Beeston informs me that you only get about a quarter of the vacuum as your effectively only utilising one inlet instead of all four! Makes sense to me, but I suppose it might be worth a try.

The alternators seem like a viable option, but the latest plan is just to ditch the Webers anyway, for the time being at least, as I can't afford all the necessary tuning to have me on the road in time for Stoneleigh :rolleyes:

So for the foreseable future, I'll have a super hot pimped engine, with a standard 2V carb on - nice :rolleyes:

Guest salty_monk

and if it doesn't... you can always tap the other side too & T into it.

You would get used to "no servo" eventually. Just a case of practice.

Dan :)

Guest Ian & Carole
and if it doesn't... you can always tap the other side too & T into it.

You would get used to "no servo" eventually. Just a case of practice.

I still prefere the NO SERVO braking system, having driven the hood in anger over the Yorkshire Moors, both with and without servo.

A very emotive subject though :rolleyes: :o

I never used a servo on the Rally Cars in the 70's and I am still here.

Guest salty_monk

I have had a few cars with no servo. My first hood was great with the servo, this one feels "overbraked", go for the brakes a bit quick & everything locks up as soon as you get on them.....

I was planning to try either a different pedal setup or no servo at some stage anyway.

When I used 40dcoes with a single take off for vacumn the vac advance on the dizzy pulsed with the engine, made quite worrying knocking noise til I sussed it. Simple fix though fit one of the non return valves that was on the sierra vac system, oh and the servo assist was just fine.

Jez