Front Brake Hoses

richyb66

I'm looking at fitting my front brake flexi hoses. I got a couple of new Jag hoses with male ands both ends but on fitting them I've found out that the hose outlet in the caliper is pointing straight at the rear tube for the wheelarch support, it also passes close to the round quadrant plate bit of the support too, but this could be trimmed back locally if necessary.

This means that the hose needs to bend and pass either over or under the tube and I'm concerned that as the wheels steer, the hose will be pulled tighter over the tube or pushed harder against it. The hoses are long enough to accomodate this but it doesn't look pretty and I don't think it would pass SVA/IVA and I'm not happy with it.

What I think I really need is a hose with a banjo end on it to fit the caliper and a male end to pass through the side panel. Does anyone have any suggestions to narrow the search down a bit

These images give a view of the general problem.

52jpg.jpg

53jpg.jpg

On our 2B+ build I have got the brake lines entering the body panel just above & behind the rear of the bottom wish-bone; this allows lock to lock movement without the flexi making contact with anything. If you go this route be sure to make & fit a plate to anchor the flexi end to a chassis member; fixed to the body panel only is a fail 'cos the panel flexes.

bit difficult to see the hose end as the pic's a bit fuzzy.

The wing mounting brackets are different too - the tubes are more outboard than mine - in line with the top balljoint pivot. This would allow the hose to pass under and inboard of the tube more easily.

I passed mine under the mudguard stay and then fixed them to the stays with plastic P clips, no chafing or rubbing etc.

Steve

That's a possibility and as my hoses have a rubber sleeve on them half way down, I could slive the sleeve down near the tube and P clip round that.

Guest Ian & Carole

There is no reason why you couldn't use a short length of copper pipe from caliper to the top of wing bracket.

Female conector connected to your flexi with a small braket welded to wing mount.

Guest gordon40

Hi Rich,

Not done anything with kit car brake pipes but have used goodridge braided pipes on bikes, they can make made to measure with the exact ends and banjo bolts and can be shrouded to your preferred colour.

Just one piece of advice with banjo's, I did come across one that had been made from a bar end and had a hairline crack (not what you want), so check before fitting any supplied.

Goodridge

Goodridge UK

Brakehoses4u

Hope this helps

There is no reason why you couldn't use a short length of copper pipe from caliper to the top of wing bracket.

It's a sliding caliper so it moves relative to the wing bracket so a hard pipe between the two isn't suitable.

I'm trying to steer away from braided lines, my personal view is that they're not as flexible as a rubber hose and in applications where they're subject to a lot of movement they won't last as long as a rubber OEM style hose. If I can get a standard hose to go on I'd rather use that.

I just had another look tonight and the hoses I've got will probably suffice if I route them under the wing mount tube and P clip then in place. The only think that doesn't look brilliant is the threaded end that fits the caliper looks a bit long. I'd use a locknut on the thread too and tighten that against the caliper to prevent the hose undoing.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a Sierra hose - preferably before 6pm today otherwise I'll just buy it anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=270379249106

It looks like what I'm after but I'll need a pair and all the sierra hoses I've seen have male threads at both ends. None of the catalogues I've looked at show a banjo end