Bidding On Ebay

Guest scrabster

Guest scrabster

hi all,has this happened to anyone.i was the winning bid on an item at £10.50 with a maximum bid of £12.00 , i watched the item end with my bid still winning,the page changed to me being outbid and the winning bid was £12.50. how do they do that with no time left?looks to me they have a way of rigging it some how. <_<

jess.

If the winning bidder hit the "Bid now" button in the last few seconds of auction with a £13.00 bid he wins -- only way round this is to go to the wire later then him -- but the bid clock always seems to be a bit out when I'm bidding.

Guest woolly

no it was not me but i do like the new, 1 click bid button.

annoying but the other person bid more just in time. so i have learned to put in my max and thats it. there will be another along in a while.

woolly

Guest bettinson2005

hi yes there is a way where ebay will bid for you :huh: but you have to sellect at least three items that you want to bid on? you then place the max you want to bid on all items ..ebay will then place your bid at the last second on the first item to end ....if you did not bid enough you lose....ebay will only do this till you win one item once you win a item it will cancell the other items you placed bids on :o so lets say you did £10 on 5 items the first item to end is at £5 you should win at £5.50 unless someone has placed a higher bid then you will lose ebay will then start to bid on the next item you selected untill you win or till all items have ended...... this is how a bid goes on at the very last second hope this helps cheers carl :good:

This is called sniping.

There are loads of programs for this out there on the internet.

Actually before the programs came in the best way to win something was just to wait until the end and bid at the last few seconds.

I teach ebay and bidding to novices, and have done for a few years and admit to always using this way to bid for items.

Actually if everyone used this, ebay would always be cheap and you could get real bargains.

Unfortunately the majority almost always bid more than they should and start the bidding days before they should.

To check going prices just have a look at the completed items link on the lefthand side to give an idea on how much you should bid and never, ever going over your highest bid.

I've lost count of the amount of items that I was watching went over the cost that you could buy them in the high street because people get carried away with bidding.

Just last week I was checking out an item it went for £75. with postage it was £90, I bought the same item from halford for £70!

I could give you lots of hints and advice for ebay, if you want, just ask.

Ian

Guest jhfozzy

I agree with Ian above, I buy a lot for myself and mates from work and I almost always snipe them.

Can get quite fun watching the seconds tick away and waiting to hit the button.

John.

Oh yes snipeing is the only way to go and i totaly agree with Ian as its the only way to get a good deal.

I wonder it may have been me Jess as i sniped and won an item for £12.50 yesterday evening that i had been watching for a few days and only bid on it once before then.

Mike

Guest scrabster
Oh yes snipeing is the only way to go and i totaly agree with Ian as its the only way to get a good deal.

I wonder it may have been me Jess as i sniped and won an item for £12.50 yesterday evening that i had been watching for a few days and only bid on it once before then.

Mike

hi mike was it a pair of sparco gloves?

From a sellers point of view ebay is getting less and less attractive. 7 day auctions where no bids are made until the last 30 seconds are not an auction. The natural response is to put the item on a start price which you would accept. Buy it now and reserve price eat the profit. So ebay becomes little more than a shop pretending to be an auction. I have learned a lot selling three engines in the last week. There are few bargains, selling is a mugs game and ebay/paypal always wins.

Nigel

Win some lose some but always decide your max price and never go beyond ! i,ve sold 2 bikes and trailer in the last year and always got more than i wanted just use your mates to bid it up to what you want there is always someone out there that carried away at the last min :D

Guest sadjagboy

I would have to agree that ebay is becoming less attractive as there are more and more businesses using it, the pricing is all much the same and the seem to be less bargains out there. I have sold 6 cars on ebay and bought 4 (or 5 if you include the botched up mess that was my allegedly part built Hoodie) totaling circa £40K and I have never sold a car the first time I've advertised it, but strangely on the second run I always get more than the minimum it would have sold for in the first run.

I used to snipe but now I just decide how much is the most I would pay for the item and put a bid on and leave it. I got a complete mini heater for £1.20 + £4.95 postage, after coming home from Newark last year without one, as I thought the £20 being asked there was too much. If I'm out bid I always think that there will be another one along shortly and if I don't get the first one, well that's one less person to bid against me and drive my price up. Its a funny old thing is ebay. :huh:

I would have to agree with Sadjagboy that ebay is becoming less attractive seeing as there are more and more businesses using it, as over the last few weeks i have been watching what price the Oregon 5k action cams have been fetching and in the end i got a new one from Amazon for much less the the s/h ones have been fetching on ebay, so it does pay to do a wee bit of searching for what you require.

Mike