I Have The Bhp Of A ?

Andi

Yes its official, I went to Torque Tune and blew a blistering 82 BHP (and thats when I left).

Air filter socks knocked off 10 BHP so I drove home without them, smells of petrol a lot on acceleration though.

Put 1.40mm jets from 1.65. The car has much more power now, but 82 BHP??? thats cr**p

This is with a stage 2 head, FR32 cam, bike carbs and lumenition ignition.

The car does 111mph (sat nav on track) and doesnt have a problem keeping up with other pinto hoods,

82BHP cant be surely??

Andi,

sounds strange something wrong with the engine or more likely the tuner. I had FR32 on standard head and twin 40s which gave 130bhp after a rolling road session, went in with 120bhp unbalanced, over fuelling and running rough. I would think your BHP would be nearer 150, a second opinion might be in order.

Jez

Guest salty_monk

82bhp at the wheels? (Would be about 100bhp flywheel)

Still a little low for your spec. Some rolling roads read different to others but that sounds incredibly low..... You'd need to see comparative testing on other cars or another dyno to know if that dyno just reads amazingly low.

Top speed sounds about right - you won't get much more than that....

I would say you should be in the 135-140bhp flywheel est (115 - 120bhp wheels) on a middle of the road dyno. Sounds like you still have some carb work to do if it stinks of petrol & can't run with the filters in place!

Andi,

sounds strange something wrong with the engine or more likely the tuner. I had FR32 on standard head and twin 40s which gave 130bhp after a rolling road session, went in with 120bhp unbalanced, over fuelling and running rough. I would think your BHP would be nearer 150, a second opinion might be in order.

Jez

Cheers Jez. Maybe Im not going bananas after all.

Filter socks (and facet inline filters) are the spawn of the devil. Add trumpets and a big pipercross 600 box filter, with min two inches space from trumpet mouth to inside of filter. With those mods I would expect an honest 120 wheels. Figures are for bragging down at the pub. You go on the rollers to get the best out of it. His rollers are obviously under reading by 30% or so. So no bragging but on the road I bet it goes well.

Nigel

Theres now't wrong with the tuner he knows pintos / bikes inside out and back to front. mine achieved 108 at the wheels there without the cam and headwork i,d say your engine is a bit ill. if his rollers are 30% out then mine is kicking 140 at the wheels which i doubt

But might explain why i,m not far behind my mate exige s

I took mine in there hardly running and it came out as above. fireblade carbs injected head vernier pulley and bestek ignition runs great starts on the button etc

The problem with dyno's is they cut through bull sh*t and are almost always dissapointing not that disappointing mind :rolleyes:

If you want to meet up one day and compare cars performance etc it might save a few quid on another dyno run if its the same as mine then you know the dyno was out

Dan

The last rolling road I visited before Emerald gave me 155bhp at the flywheel, the first power run with no adjustments at Emerald 169bhp, so there are differences. Mind you finished on only 174.5bhp and the car was a completely different animal! As Nigel said figures are one thing, how it feels is another.

Guest salty_monk

There is a lot of variables... how the dyno is set, wheel & tyre size, tyre pressures, how the car is strapped in... it all makes a difference plus all the dyno's use slightly different algorithyms to get a flywheel figure etc... :)

I always check the car over before going on the rollers. Not just checking fluids but gapping the plugs, checking cam and ignition timing. On the pinto it was very easy doing a compression test if worried. (Not so easy on a silvertop.) Also filling the tank and pumping tyres. Running out of fuel is a pain as it interrupts the session and is costly!

If you think the 85 may be genuine then at least do the basics to check engine health.

Nigel

Another useful tool is an infra red thermometer from Maplins. I bought one for checking tyre temperatures across the tread for suspension tuning on trackdays but it's handy for doing a readout of exhaust manifold temperatures. Currently on my recent new engine install, runner one is 100C below the other three pointing to a problem on that cylinder. Air leak, plug, lead, injector or possibly mechanical but I hope not.