10 Years Build Time & Loads Of Cash

fry61

Guest mark kingston
Yeah, saw that a couple of weeks ago. Very dissapointing really considering. Sure we could do better with a RH2B and a pressure cooker :(

yes it goes some what faster than the aveling and porter steam roller i play about with which goes about 6 mph flat out.

yes they both run on steam but that is where the similarity ends.

mark

Ten years work to build what seemed like an incredibly unreliable and inefficient beast. Difficult to forget that 50 years ago there were steam trains running around the UK at 100mph pulling ten carriages. Perhaps the technology itself has a limit and you can't fit a gearbox or something so 160 mph is warp 10. Personaly I'd love to see someone cobble something together in six months and go 250mph on steam. It surely can't be that hard. Maybe it is? I dunno.

Nigel

Fuel energy to H.P. conversion was only about 9% on this beast, & steam locos I think acheived nearer 30%, they had very large driven wheels so they didn't need gearboxes. Would love to build a modern steam car but could you get 500 H.P. out of a mobile steam raising plant? It's what's needed for a super-car to make 200m.p.h. I believe. Still keep dreaming-- what a brill record it would be for us "amateur kit car builders"

Missed the program will have to try and catch up. I thought at the time how dissapointing it was, 100 years later and all they could do was only just break the record. Why didn't they just make a nice triple expansion motor and put it in a lightweight st®eamliner :rolleyes: and I'm sure they could have gone a lot faster, cheaper too. Probably could have refettled the original car and got more out of it!