Any Alarm Engineers

Mitch

Hi All is there any alarm engineers on here, i have problem withhouse alarm keep going off,

did this last year but then sorted itself,

Problem is when you enter a room, sometimes when alarms off, it sets itself off an comes up as tamper,

I thought the battery back up was faulty but changed this an faults returned, ?

any ideas

Mitch

The tamper circuit is normally two wires within the wiring to a sensor that are connected together at the sensor end and connected to the control panel at the other end. This forms a continuous loop of wire - if it gets broken anywhere (e.g. by being cut) the circuit becomes open and the tamper warning is triggered.

If you can see where the wiring is connected in the control panel you should be able to see the connection for the tamper circuit. Check the connections at the control panel and are good, similarly also check the linked ends of the tamper circuit at each sensor to make sure they are ok. Again, external bell boxes also usually have a tamper circuit - this would be a more likely cause of problems as it's outside so succeptable to the damp. Worth getting up on a ladder and giving the bell box cover a shake and seeing of that sets the tamper off - is the fault happening in windy weather?

If all these check out ok then you need to look for signs of physical damage to the wiring somewhere between the sensor and the control panel. This could be wiring run under carpets, trapped by furniture, caught in doors, moving floorboards etc. Just a case of following the wires back from the sensor and visually checking anywhere you can see the wiring.

Final solution if the fault persists and you can't find it would be to disconnect the tamper circuit at the control panel, bridge the control panel tamper connections out with a small link wire and hope you don't have a burglar with wire cutters!

I'm not an alarm engineer but I hope this helps.

I'm also not a gynacologist but I'm willing to have a look if asked - no over 25's though please ;)

Guest manglemender

Mitch,

I'm a control system engineer and not an alarm engineer, the previous advice is all good but consider the following to try and trace the fault:

By bypassing the tamper circuit you are proving that the controller isn't at fault.

The tamper circuit is a pair of wires going to each sensor/box on the system; each device may have a tamper switch inside the casing and so any failure is likely to be either a lose connection or a faulty switch. Re-connect the tamper circuit and go round every sensor/box and giving each one a friendly tap with a screwdriver.

Nick