2b Front Wishbone Geometry

speedtripledan

Guest mower man

Hi Dan I've been pondering on this my self ,my car is an early mono with inboard dampers , when jacked up there is not alot of droop and I would think that the ball joints are on full travel ! Thinking about moving the dummy strut up and ok I'have to reset all the geometry but if I gain more suspension movement it will probably result in even better handling and more comfort? I'm also ,has toying with the idea of raising the rack to reduce bump steer Has any body got any thoughts on these points?? regards mower man

Thinking about moving the dummy strut up

My dummy struts are are as high as I can get them, S7 but still fully engaged with the upright. You may want to unscrew the shocker springs a bit to get the car a bit lower, after you have moved them, I have the lower arm horizontal and the rack is too. If you have too much castor angle it will lift the ends of the rack up.

Hi, remember to fit some kind of securing device if you move it up. The original mcpherson strut had a fin welded to the back which the pinch bolt goes through to stop it slipping out if the pinch bolt loosens. Ive got a small bolt through the side of the hub which does the same job. Hopefully you already know this but thought it was worth mentioning just incase.

hth

Hi, remember to fit some kind of securing device if you move it up. The original mcpherson strut had a fin welded to the back which the pinch bolt goes through to stop it slipping out if the pinch bolt loosens. Ive got a small bolt through the side of the hub which does the same job. Hopefully you already know this but thought it was worth mentioning just incase.

hth

thanks for the advice i did not know that

Dan

Guest mower man

Hi mine has locating / safety bolts , easy mod just drill through upright and dummy strut 5mm and run a 6mm tap through them both and fit an allen stud with adrop of loctite , may be easier if you grind a small flat area on the upright!rgards mower man :good:

Guest Tim Norman

This is my set up, excuse the damp it they were taken just after a trip out in the rain, not quite in Grim's league. It was a 2b/4 but after the excursion into the ditch he had the GBSC conversion. Currently in process of fitting an anti roll bar. I have an extended pinchbolt and a nylock on the other side just to be on the safe side, in fact think the SVA man insisted!

post-13-1262274973_thumb.jpg

post-13-1262274993_thumb.jpg