Boys In Hoods Winter Issue

stevedohc2b

Hi the next issue is back from the printers and I have posted out the first 150 tonight.

so should all be in post by the weekend.

enjoy.

I have also up dated the web Mag page.

I do still need you articles otherwise the next issue is going to be blank paper

Stephen

post-697-1265663082_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Pm sent

How about a Zero build / or Build tips please

thanks

Stephen

Hi STEVE,

I could draft an article on my zero build so far if you like. When would you require it by?

feel free to re produce some of my pics if needed or i could use them within the article, which would be best? and what format would you need it in?

regards,

Nick.

Guest The Modfather

some good ideas there. Keep it up :D

Not sure if my penny worth counts, but due to reading some recent threads about road traffic accidents with people and their hoods, could there be a small slot for the advertisement of the Police driver's handbook Roadcraft? I did mention it some weeks ago on a thread and how much it will improve your driving skills, especially as these cars could potentially have somewhere in the region of 300+bhp/tonne, and lets face it, we don't always drive these cars to the letter of the highway code now do we?

Reading an advertisement containing a small snippet from the handbook might enspire people to read it completely, and thus go towards making said person a safer driver. Not a slower safer driver, but a faster safer driver. It may also help with people making fewer insurance claims for their own mistakes. Also, it will show other kit car clubs that by advertising such a publication in our club mag shows that we are responsible, and seek to improve as better drivers.

I am not connected in any way to the authors or publisher, but can only say how good this book is, and how much it will help. We have all had moments when we have thought "oh (insert profanity of your choice here), that was close", or we have had the adranalin tingle on our tongues when things got hairy. These and many others are due to red mist and inability to control your car.

How about a section on driving skills? I am not qualified as an instructor, only an assessor, which means I can only advise after they have displayed their driving, although I find that what I have advised is immediately put into practice and the habit or mistake is rectified. I cannot advise during the drive as this would be instruction, so perhaps there is someone on here that has the qualification to write instruction in an article?

Or you could just tell me to shut up, and I will :D

That aside, the mag is still very good.

Guest fathead
some good ideas there. Keep it up :D

Not sure if my penny worth counts, but due to reading some recent threads about road traffic accidents with people and their hoods, could there be a small slot for the advertisement of the Police driver's handbook Roadcraft? I did mention it some weeks ago on a thread and how much it will improve your driving skills, especially as these cars could potentially have somewhere in the region of 300+bhp/tonne, and lets face it, we don't always drive these cars to the letter of the highway code now do we?

Reading an advertisement containing a small snippet from the handbook might enspire people to read it completely, and thus go towards making said person a safer driver. Not a slower safer driver, but a faster safer driver. It may also help with people making fewer insurance claims for their own mistakes. Also, it will show other kit car clubs that by advertising such a publication in our club mag shows that we are responsible, and seek to improve as better drivers.

I am not connected in any way to the authors or publisher, but can only say how good this book is, and how much it will help. We have all had moments when we have thought "oh (insert profanity of your choice here), that was close", or we have had the adranalin tingle on our tongues when things got hairy. These and many others are due to red mist and inability to control your car.

How about a section on driving skills? I am not qualified as an instructor, only an assessor, which means I can only advise after they have displayed their driving, although I find that what I have advised is immediately put into practice and the habit or mistake is rectified. I cannot advise during the drive as this would be instruction, so perhaps there is someone on here that has the qualification to write instruction in an article?

Or you could just tell me to shut up, and I will :D

That aside, the mag is still very good.

I could have a word with my father in law as he is an IAM instructor. He's really busy at the moment but I can ask the question.

Daz what about a driving day is a suitable bit of tarmac could be arranged at a reasonable price. You wouldn't need to be an instructor if services were free and you were just giving advice to fellow members ;) ;)

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Sounds like a good book and a good idea. As a press photographer I have had to photograph lots of Road Traffic Accidents when I was a staffer on a newspaper, not very nice. Anything that contributes to safer driving is a good idea.

Spencer

p.s Those BMW 5 series Traffic cars really shift, did a few shifts with North East traffic (Met).

Guest The Modfather
Sounds like a good book and a good idea. As a press photographer I have had to photograph lots of Road Traffic Accidents when I was a staffer on a newspaper, not very nice. Anything that contributes to safer driving is a good idea.

Spencer

p.s Those BMW 5 series Traffic cars really shift, did a few shifts with North East traffic (Met).

The 5 series are what I used to drive before they got rid of them and changed to the 3.0ltr V6 Vectras. A totally different drive all together but you couldn't relax as much as when you drove the BMW.

Phil, track driving is a different kettle of fish to road driving, as nothing changes lap after lap and everyone goes in the same direction :D

Obviously learning braking points, turning in points and apexing will benefit you with regards to learning how to read vanishing points, and whether they are stationary, moving towards you or away from you. By doing this you will be in the right gear at the right time and in the right postion. Roadcraft also explains skid control, what causes a skid, vehicle balance and how to keep the car balanced through a corner. The book is not just for police drivers, far from it.

I would love to do a track day, have done one before in an Aston Vantage and a DB9, but would really like to see how my car handles when driven at 9/10ths. If something could be sorted, somewhere say in the middle of the UK so it doesn't favour anyone (except for middle Englanders) then yes I would be interested. Would have to plan on how to arrange the drives.

It is planned for the next issue of Boys in Hoods to be published in March so articles should reach me by end Feb. Running a bit late!!

So e mail the text as e mail text or a word doc. And attach images as original jepeg's this may have to be as batches as most email will only take 4-5 meg at a time so mark as 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc

or send me a letter with photos I can scan in or a disk address in mag.

E mail to boysinhoods.mag@ntlworld.com.

Re the advanced driving a session on a skid pan would be great and very help full

Off to post some more :D

Stephen

Guest The Modfather

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but it seems that there is some interest in driving skills. I just had a look on the Weald site. It seems expensive but might be worth a call. I will try and see what there is around say Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire/Oxfordshire. I know North Weald very well as I used to live near there, and drag race there, but it is not very central.

As Steve says, a skid pan would be excellent, probably better than trying to learn the rules of road bends on a track.

I'm not promising anything, but I will put a call in to the pan at Hendon when I'm back to work to see if they would entertain us. How about paying a fee to go to a charity, radio or TV interest might help sway the Met's decision. Anyone got any contacts in the media sector?