Beach Buggies And The Iva

Grizzly

... I'm a bit concerned for him though with regards to IVA and having absolutely no experience of this particular marque, I thought I'd ask on here.

1. I've pointed out the obvious stuff, like the need to cover pretty much all sharp edges. SVA Nut Covers & Edge trim etc.

post-1241-1267368647_thumb.jpg

2. This is the dash. Are these switches OK? Will he be needing some edge trim in the steering wheel spokes?

There's no Demist for the windscreen?

The wipers don't have a Park facility. He say's that 60's Dub's didn't have one?

Does he need a Brake Fluid Reservoir Warning Light?

post-1241-1267368730_thumb.jpg

OK, last one for now. This edge seems too sharp to me. I think I'll be giving him the link for Woolies.

I didn't want to sound alarmist, but as we all know, the SVA was expensive and the IVA is even more so.

I'd hate him to get knocked back on such fundamental things.

Or, is it that Beach Buggies are subject to a completely different set of regulations?

All comments/pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.

TIA

post-1241-1267369844_thumb.jpg

Guest jetskijase

I thought with these you still use the beetle details, as its the same chassis etc, you've just dropped another body on top?? (all be it very well!)

I remember on discovery that car program where ed put a beech body onto an old beetle and away he went.

might have all changed now though.

it always used to be if an unmodifyed beetle chassis was used, it was just a rebody and no test

however a lot of the kits used a shortened floorpan

with iva, dunno if thats changed

dave

Hi Steve

If it does need IVA (The chassis has been changed in any way) then treat it the same as you would a hood.

If it does need IVA, then the IVA is the same for all kits Within reason and he still has a fair of work to do :(

It is very hard trying to be diplomatic when it can look like you are ripping the p**s out of all his hard work, just remember you have done it all before and therefore you can offer very informed advice and try to save him a big fail, that way, you will not be tempted to say, I should have told you--------------?

Steve

2. This is the dash. Are these switches OK? Will he be needing some edge trim in the steering wheel spokes?

There's no Demist for the windscreen?

The wipers don't have a Park facility. He say's that 60's Dub's didn't have one?

Does he need a Brake Fluid Reservoir Warning Light?

as said if you need an IVA then you need demist. The switches will prob also fail but could easily be sorted by bending a 5mm bar that hooped over all of the switches to form a guard bar, ie down by the left hand switch and across then up by the right hand switch - could tap the ends and srew down from above. The switches would then not be contactable by the sphere and you could turn them on by pushing them through. if that makes sense.

hth

Guest robinj66

The first issue to be addressed is whether the chassis from the Beetle donor is "unmodified" - that usually means the floor pan is uncut.

If it hasn't been modified then it still doesn't need an IVA, just re-registration. This is currently topic of the month with VOSA

If the chassis has been altered/modified then (as said above) all the IVA rules apply.

OK, thanks for your replies so far Guys.

Right, it seems that it's one of two things.

1. No chassis modifications = IVA not applicable.

2. Chassis modifications = IVA applicable.

I cannot answer this question, but I've passed the link for this thread on, so that he can digest & progress with VOSA.

....all vw based buggies,use a standard vw beetle chassis and floor pan,original chassis number reg ect ,although there is a lwb and a swb which is <swb> a shortened chassis this may be requiered to some sort of test.....